Well, at the ripe old age of five, Katelyn was the recipient of her first "Snow Day." We got a lot of snow in a short period of time, so once you add the ice that always comes with a snow storm here, that resulted in the area schools being closed today. My
first snow day was in second or third grade; my second and last snow day up until now, was on my birthday when I was a sophomore in college. I lived in Tacoma, Washington and the four inches of snow we had literally shut the city down. It was awesome! Snow days really are the best. That being said, we decided to make the most of Katelyn's first snow day so I put my "list" of things I wanted to get done today aside and we decided to play. After shoveling some snow (in preparation for the next storm that's coming), our morning fun included a sledding adventure with some friends on our street. We headed to the hill that is just one street over with two of Katelyn's favorite buddies - "little" Kyle and his sister Kara. The hill is a good beginning sledder hill for a couple of reasons: 1) it is steep enough but not too steep, 2) there are plenty of hills like it around the area so we
had it pretty much to ourselves, and most importantly 3) the kids can carry their own sled up the hill without too much trouble.So, the kids started sledding and didn't stop until we made them. Some more friends, Spencer and Avery joined us later on and their giant toboggan was by far the favorite sled. After each run down the hill, Katelyn would yell about how AWESOME it was. Her enthusiasm caught on as you'll see in the video:
Brooke was very curious about all of the snow, so I decided to take her down the hill. She absolutely loved it and literally squealed and giggled all the way down. Katelyn really wanted to take her down but I decided that since we didn't have the "baby" sled with us, we should probably wait. Brooke has been far too accident prone the past two months so I decided not to tempt fate. She was happy to just sit in the snow and play - she also drank her bottle while watching the very "squealy" kids go up and down the hill. Not a bad day...
We had a terrific time and headed in only because I was worried that we would have a little frozen "Brookicicle" if we stayed out too long. So we headed in to have hot chocolate with marshmallows. To top it off we made rice krispie treats and had scrambled eggs with cheese. Random yes... but it was so fun. After lunch, Katelyn said her legs and feet hurt... which I am pretty sure is normal after you run up and down a hill like a crazy person for a couple of hours. So we used it as an excuse to do pedicures. I got out the foot bath and everything - she loved sitting in her little camping chair and watching "My Little Pony" while eating her snacks and soaking her feet. Brooke wasn't interested in the pedicure part but thought the little tub filled with water was great!It was such a fun day... I hope we have another one before she is a Sophomore in college.
5 comments:
I miss those girls too much! I will have one Brookicicle please! Looks like it was a great day! P.S. Happy Birthday!!!
First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
I need to send my kids over for a snow day with you. We went to Wal-Mart. You can imagine how thrilling that trip was!
I wanna pedicure. Can't get a lot of support for one of those with my house full of boys. My toes and feet are suffering.
That face is hilarious! (on Brooke)
Happy Birthday!
So fun! What a good mom you are!! Have a great birthday!!
I love a pedicure. It's one of those ultimate luxuries that we don't indulge in often enough. I'm glad that you took the time to make that memory with your daughter.
Post a Comment