Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Day Brooke Walked on Purpose

Brooke is really enjoying being a "big kid" now that she is a year old. She's been taking steps for several months now but it always looked like it was on accident. As soon as she would realize what she had done she would usually stop and immediately stoop down and go back to crawling. She loves cruising around as long as she can hold on to something inanimate but hasn't even really liked walking with help. I think she doesn't trust us.
She also would look very nervous when she would realize that she was standing without support and would very carefully bend down to a crawling position even though she wasn't having trouble balancing. So tonight we were in the living room and I set her down on her feet and said "Go get daddy" and she did!!! Taking five or six steps, she walked in that "new walker" swaggering kind of way right over to him. The best part was that it didn't freak her out. She was happy about it and kept going back and forth between us. When she started to get worn out I just used her bottle as bait. Mini marshmallows also worked well... I think we could get her to do just about anything for a marshmallow. Katelyn was cheering her on and running the video camera for us. She is so proud of her little sister and anxious for her to really get the hang of walking. Little does she know that Brooke's sphere of destruction is about to get exponentially bigger.

We will post some walking videos soon but in the mean time, here are pictures of Brooke at twelve months.

7 comments:

day in the life of a prince said...

So cute!! I can't believe she's walking already!

Ilene said...

I keep meaning to take Thomas' one year pictures but a bruise pops up on his face so I wait another week for it to heal and then he gets a scratch or a runny nose. I figure by the time he is two we will get the pictures taken.

Brooke is so cute. Did I see some curl in her hair yesterday at church?

The Merricks said...

What a precious! Can I nibble on her cheeks?

Rani said...

So cute!!! I love her new pics!

AMY said...

Of course your child would look perfect in pictures. I'm always nervous for pictures because my sweet 3 year old gives it his all for a "forced looking" smile. I can't break him of it.

For whatever they're worth though, we get some good memories out of them.

PS What a fabulous birthday cake.

melissa walker said...

Ashley--I found your blog from Susannah's--you look great and your girls are adorable! I also have a almost 5 year old girl and a girl who turned 1 in October. (And an older boy--he's not as much fun to dress!) It is fun to see what you're doing--we should catch up a little!
Missy Bunting

jessica said...

You are so good at getting those milestone photos...

I can't believe it's been a year since we were desperately trying to get you go into labor at my house, trying everything we could to get that baby out!