Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Day Brooke Learned About Getting Married

Brooke 2-20-11Today, Brooke and I were chatting and the topic of getting married came up.  The conversation was one of those that you know you’ll want to remember forever and share someday at her bridal shower.  Our conversation went something like this…

With her most serious look, Brooke asked me, “Mom, so when do you get married?  Like when you are 4, or 9 or 12?”

I smiled and said, “No, more like when you are 30.” 

Brooke replied, “OHHHHHH, ok.  So I will get married when I am 30 and then live with you forever.” 

Holding back laughter, I really rocked her world with the next bit of info that I delivered.  I said, ”Well, after you get married, you and your husband will find your own place to live.  You will get your own apartment or house and make it your home.” 

She was silent for a moment while she processed that and then with eyes the size of saucers she screeched, “WHAT?!?!?!?!” 

I realized that this had shattered her little four year old world and rocked her to the core.  So in an attempt to make her feel better I said, “Well honey, I don’t live with Gram and Pop anymore.  When I married daddy we got our own place to live and started our own family.”

She looked less concerned after hearing that and said “Oh OK, well I am not going to get married because I just want to live here with you, but can you still get me a pretty white [wedding] dress?” 

Yes, yes I can.  I think I might try to get that in writing.

7 comments:

Melissa B. said...

That is so Sweet. Somedays I would love to have them stay little forever, at least until it's Friday and I am ready for a getaway!

Christina B. said...

That is very sweet! It's so great you have it written down to remember!

Anne said...

I love hearing all these cute stories about your girls! You have some really adorable girls!

Karen said...

Love it!!! What a sweet little thing!

Nana Shanna said...

Love it! You're so good at explaining things to your sweet girls. Aren't you glad you have it documented?

The Law Spot said...

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.... That is TOO funny!

melissa walker said...

All of my girls have decided they don't want to get married if it means they have to live with a boy--I think we'll enjoy these years before boys really enter the picture!