One of our favorite parts of late summer/early fall is the appearance of our sunflowers. This year we mixed it up a little bit and tried some new varieties. Brooke found one that was yellow and pink and another that was a deep burgundy… their uniqueness did not disappoint. We also planted some of our “regulars” and mixed them all together.
The flowers were beautiful!
With only one momentary exception, the girls loved exploring their beautiful sunflower garden (see Emily’s facial expression for proof of her disdain). She told me that she didn’t want to be in the “sister picture” I was taking of them in front of the flowers, so I told her that was fine and I would just take a picture of Katelyn and Brooke. Clearly, she didn’t like that option either.
We harvested the heads and placed them in the pine tree to dry so that we could put the seeds out this winter for the birds, but the birds decided they didn’t want to wait for their vittles to dry – As of mid-October the heads were picked clean and the birds were happy and full.
Oh summer, how I miss you already.
1 comment:
What a fun summer growing project. I need to do more things like this with my kids! I miss summer too!
Post a Comment