After a wonderful summer vacation and a great Labor Day weekend, which included celebrating our 10 year anniversary, it was time for Katelyn to embark on second grade. She got a great teacher and has two of her three closest friends in her class again, so she was really excited and i was excited for her. But I am still not to that place where I actually wanted school to start. If we could, Brooke and I would gladly keep her home with us. She loves school though and we were excited for her, so we tried to be brave.
We got to walk to school with “little” Kyle who was starting 1st grade and Kara – Brooke was glad to have another little sister there to commiserate with. Brooke loved riding in her stroller to the school with the kids, but when we got to the
playground, she realized what all this meant and she actually started to cry. It broke my heart! Both girls were happy though when we had time to go play for a bit before the bell rang. They played on the equipment together and had a great time seeing old and new friends. It always makes me feel so much better about leaving Katelyn there when I am reminded that she has some amazing friends and is at a really great school.
When the bell range, we got to walk in with Katelyn’s class. I hung back with the other parents, but Brooke took her place right next to her sister. Katelyn grabbed her hand and my heart melted. I love that they lean on each other.
We got Katelyn to her class, watched them get settled and said the pledge of allegiance. After that, Brooke gave her a big hug I blew her a kiss and quickly put my sunglasses down… and then we left. We missed her a lot but I tried to make it a fun day for Brooke so she wouldn’t be too sad without her
favorite playmate around. Right after Brooke’s nap it was time to head to the school to pick Katelyn up.
Katelyn and her friends were excited to greet us and Brooke squealed with delight at the sight of them.
Katelyn was so excited to see her BFF Sara and they happily posed for the above picture. But that did not make Brooke happy. She also adores Sara and didn’t like being left out of the photo op. As I was taking the photo, Brooke yelled, “Hey guys! What about ME?!?!” So, we took another picture and then everyone was smiling.
Katelyn had a great first day and we are so excited for another exciting new school year… I just hope this one doesn’t go by as fast as last year did.
No comments:
Post a Comment