Next to school getting out, the other thing I love most about June is getting to watch my girls perform in their dance recital (aka “the show”). They had such a great year dancing and worked really hard. I cannot believe that Katelyn has been dancing at Isabelle’s for seven years… where does the time go?
This year, was Brooke’s second year of ballet and they dressed up as sailors. They have one little boy in their class, so Isabelle picked something that he could enjoy wearing too. At first Brooke was disappointed that her costume didn’t involve anything pink or made of tulle, but she ended up really liking her costume and their dance – it was darling.
She also loved dancing this year with her good friends Layla and Kate… it made dancing even more fun.
This year, Katelyn started dancing three nights a week. It was a big commitment for all of us, but it turned out to be a really great thing for her. She worked so hard and has really found a love for dance. She also loves everyone at the studio. One day during the spring she had me do something different with her hair and was telling me how “everyone” kept telling her how cute she looked. I assumed she meant “everyone” at school, but she said, “No mom, everyone at dance. I love it there, it feels like a second home.” I am so glad she feels that way and that there are so many wonderful people there for my girls.
For one of her ballet classes, they were seabirds (sand pipers) and seagulls. It was such a beautiful dance and their costumes were so pretty.
For their second ballet class, they were Spanish dancers. They did such an amazing job, I got chills every time I watched them perform that number.
This year, Katelyn started taking jazz along with her ballet classes. It was really hard for her at first. In fact, she struggled so much with it that she contemplated quitting. I knew she could do it, but I didn’t want to force her, so I told her to give it two more weeks and then she could decide. During those 14 days, something clicked and she ended up loving jazz and being really good at it.
For the show, they were pick-pockets. Katelyn was really concerned about portraying such an unscrupulous character but she decided she would do it. The girls did a great job and the number turned out great. Watching her up there you would never know she struggled with jazz at all – she looked like such a natural. Brooke thought she was great, but was appalled at their “thief outfit.”
In the story-line of the show, the pick-pockets were sent by their villain leader (Katelyn’s dance teacher)to steal the Ambassador’s purse. Katelyn got to be the pick-pocket that created the diversion. She hammed it up and did such a great job. I was proud of her for being so brave and stepping completely outside of her comfort zone.
As an added bonus we were lucky enough to have Gram and Pop there to watch the show. It was so much fun having them with us and the girls loved having their own cheering section. It was a great night and definitely one of those moments where you beam with pride as a parent and can’t believe how fast your tiny dancers are growing up.
1 comment:
I love that they love to dance and am so glad Katelyn is committed enough to do it three times a week. It looks like it was a fantastic concert. I hope I get to see them dance someday!
Post a Comment