On September 5th, it was time for our summer adventures to come to an end and for school to begin. Even though we had a fantastic summer packed with fun, the girls were excited about the new school year. It was a beautiful day and our morning went smoothly. They were all smiles and it always amazes me how they always seem more grown up that morning when they put on their new school outfits. Where does the time go…
Emily didn’t realize that she wasn’t going back to school. She had her backpack on and was ready to go. Thank goodness she wasn’t leaving too, I can’t imagine what a mess I will be when that day comes.
Knowing that she would want her "back to school” picture taken too, I made a sign for her too the night before.
The girls both got great teachers this year, but the news that really made us excited was that Katelyn and Sara finally got to be in the same class. They were together in preschool and Kindergarten but haven’t had the same teacher since then. They’ve stayed the best of friends, so they were both really excited that they get to be together during their last year of elementary school (gulp).
We all walked together and the kids had a great time catching up with friends. Emily was right at home and loved seeing all of her big kid buddies and their super nice parents that love her.
Before I knew it, my fifth grader headed off to her last first day of elementary school. I was so glad I got to keep Brooke for a few more hours and didn’t have to send them off at the same time.
Brooke was so excited for her first day that she had a hard time waiting. We passed the time reading books and giving her a sparkly manicure to match her skirt. We had lunch and then it was time to take her to catch the bus. I was dying inside and started to cry on our way there but I pulled it together and lowered my sunglasses until it was over. She was so happy and confident that I didn’t want her worrying about her fragile mom. She immediately found one of her best buddies and they lined up for the bus. Before I knew it, her tiny little face was grinning at me through the bus window and confidently waving goodbye to me. So I blew her a kiss, waved goodbye and then did the only thing I could…
… hopped in my car and followed the bus to make sure she made it safely.
Of course she did and she was happy and at having fun immediately. Before too long, I spotted her on top of the monkey bars in her pink sequin skirt and shoes with about twenty boys. Awesome.
She gave me one last Kindergarten smile before she headed in to her class. I loved that she was brave and excited but I was also thrilled when I heard her asking her friend where I was and telling her, “I hope my mom didn’t leave.” I even snuck in a picture after class had started – she looked like an old pro already.
To soften the blow of our buddies heading back to school, Emily and I went out to lunch and ate lots of ice cream. We had a great time together and enjoyed our one on one time even though we missed the girls. Before we knew it, it was time to pick them up and see how their first day went.
I am happy to report that we were greeted with all smiles and everyone had a great first day. Emily was so happy to see them all and wasn’t afraid to show it.
Ben and Bradley had to go but the rest of the crew waited for Brookie’s bus to arrive. She followed suit and emerged from the bus grinning from ear to ear.
Here’s to the beginning of another great year with some fantastic kids.
8 comments:
Your girls are so cute! And I have the funniest picture in my head of you stalking around the school getting all of your great pictures!
So great...and I'm still cracking up at the sign you made for Emily to hold! So, so funny!
Great post! Your girls are so beautiful, just like their mom. Hope you are doing alright. I think about you a lot and hope that your health is doing better.
Awesome sign!
They're all getting so grown up!
Could they be any cuter?? Oh my goodness!
I'm so glad Kate and Sara are together again. Re Emily's sign. It made me laugh out loud. You realize that you'll probably have to pay for that someday. Thanks for sharing about your sweet and growing up girls.
This made me cry, they are getting so big. I love their school pictures. They have the best poses and I love the signs. And I love Katelyn's pig tails! Glad it was a successful first day for everyone!
Post a Comment