As many of you know, Liberty Lake has resulted in two bad burns for the Hansen family. Katelyn's burn happened after we lived here for one week while Kyle was in Germany on a business trip. She was helping me cook and wasn't used to a flat cook top stove. We had talked about how it didn't look hot (or like our other stove at all) but that you could never touch it. Shortly after that lesson, we were cooking and when she turned to get off the step stool (I was right there holding on to her) without thinking, she put her left hand down for support but it ended up directly on the center of the burner. It was awful. Then, in December of 2007 we had the Day Brooke Burned BOTH of Her Hands. It still makes me cry to think about, so I will let you refer to the post for the horrific details. Then there was today... the good news is that my children and Kyle are all safe and burn free. The bad news is that instead of serving up dinner that I had worked so hard on from one of my favorite cooking magazines (Cuisine at Home), I cooked my left hand instead.
I had just taken the oven roasted potatoes out of the 450 degree oven to raise the baking rack so the Parmesan crusted chicken with sage-butter sauce could finish cooking. I of course had on my "ove-glove" so that I wouldn't burn my hand while raising the rack. The problem was that I decided to place my left hand on the edge of the counter for support while I moved the rack... what I thought was the edge of the counter turned out to be the jelly roll pan with the potatoes that I had literally just taken out of the oven.
!@&$#
It seriously hurt and actually is still killing me (less so now because of my good friend "Mr. Lortab", but I decided I needed to write this post so that everyone can go out tomorrow and buy the greatest over-the-counter burn relief EVER CREATED. After Brooke's burn, Kyle realized that I have a tendency to cook members of our family. So he bought some Burn Jel Plus by Water Jel. I haven't been able to find the exact item on the web, but the important part is to buy the one that has Lidocaine in it. Kyle said he found it at Wal-Mart, so please go tomorrow and get some. Hopefully you won't ever need it, but if you do you will be so glad you had it because you will NOT be in the mood to go and get it when you or a member of your family needs it.
I had to be somewhere about 45 minutes after I burned my hand and without this burn gel I would have been taking along a bowl of water with my hand in it for sure. I really couldn't take it out of the water without feeling like I was going to die. But then we put on the burn gel and wrapped it. It didn't make it stop by any means, but I could function enough to get through what I needed to tonight and make it to the point where Mr. Lortab and I could have some alone time. So, here are the things I hope everyone has learned from this post: 1) Do not allow me near any active heat source for any reason at any time, and number 2) Have Burn Jel PLUS on hand, just in case you forget rule number 1.
9 comments:
I still have a scar on my arm from burning my arm while making funeral potatoes. It took me a long time to decide that the oven was safe to use again!!
The burn marks could be seen as some kind of unifying brand for you and your daughters. When you get sons-in-law or daughters-in-law you can tell them the Hansen brand is necessary to their being members of the family.
You could be just like those Nephites who wanted gave themselves markings. They were such a righteous bunch.
This also means you need to push Kyle near a hot surface too so he can match.
Am I taking this too far?
Oh my! I think you and the stove need a break from each other. I'd suggest the BBQ, but you may not be trusted there either. How about take-out for the next few weeks?!
Ilene is ridiculous.
And what is up over there?! Not that we can talk...
Yikes! I can't believe I didn't even hear about this. Our family has it's own embarrassing story - my sister burned her hand while babysitting, but what's worse is she started the curtains above the sink on fire. Can you imagine what the kids mother was thinking. Needless to say my sister was mortified.
Okay I will finally once and for all put the "Hansen voo-doo dolls" away. Tell Kyle he better bring me some Mississippi Mud over or he'll be next!
Ok Ash, I was completely laughing out loud. It sounds like you are quite the burn expert these days. I'm calling you next time there's a burn in my family. You seem to know all the best treatments. So keep the drugs handy!
It seems as though fate would have Kyle burned next. Watch out Kyle!
I'm thinking it's a bad sign when you have a category of "burn" on your blog. Sorry girl, burning body parts is just not the way to get into Bon Apetite! Ouch!
Post a Comment