Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Day Katelyn Finished Swimming Lessons

So during our second summer in Spokane (2006), I put Katelyn in some semi-private swimming lessons. At the time she liked water if it was to drink, bathe in, or in a pool if she could be on the stairs. The aforementioned swimming lessons didn't help that at all. During those 30 minute lessons, she would make two or three trips down and back in the pool with the teacher doing what ever method on a kick board that she was comfortable with. As I am sure you can imagine, she learned nothing except that she should fear water because she didn't gain any new skills and instead learned that "deep water" required an adult and a kick board for survival. Needless to say, I was discouraged. Fast forward to February of the next year. We were at her ballet class and one of the moms started talking about the "best swimming lessons ever." I was skeptical, but intrigued. We got on the list for the upcoming summer and waited to see what would transpire.

I had been told that in the beginning class (Minnows) they would get the kids comfortable in the water (face in), understand pool and water safety rules, and (get this) have the kids swimming a short distance unassisted. Yeah right. But get this, they weren't kidding. It happened and I was a believer. So this summer, we were ready for the advanced beginners class and Katelyn got to take the class with her good friend William. But it gets even better, that meant I got to sit and watch the class with my good friend Stacey!

cold swimmingWe signed up for the session that was held during the last two weeks of July so that we would all be nice and warm. There were several days however that we were huddled under their towels and the kids were standing on the side of the pool shivering. They even let them stay in the water until it was their turn on the super cold days. But overall the weather was good and the class was fantastic. The kids had fun and looked like little fishes by the last day. Here is a collage of Katelyn doing her "final swim" - she had to swim halfway on her stomach and then turn over and go the rest of the way on her back. Flipping over was the hardest part for her, but she did it!Collage of Katelyn the fish 7-330-08Brooke playing at swimming 7-30-08There was a nice area where Brooke could play while we watched Katelyn and Will swim. She loved playing with all of the basketballs, scooters and tricycles and didn't seem to care that she couldn't get in the pool. Brooke & William 7-30-08On the final day of class, the kids got their completion certificates as well as a much anticipated popsicle from their teachers. As you can see, Brooke was trying to take a bite out of Will's popsicle while he posed for the picture. After class, we picked up Will's sisters and continued the celebration at Carl's Jr. The kids all played and had a great time but Brooke decided she preferred to watch from the outside of the play structure rather than be in there amongst the madness. I am already excited for next summer. Brooke Kate & William 7-30-08

5 comments:

Shem said...

Swimming lessons are hard. Our boys both have "water issues" and just seemed to be getting comfortable when the 2 week session was over. I am glad Katelyn did so well.

Ilene said...

I'm still mad we moved before I could enlist in the "best swimming lessons ever."

Another thing to add to the list, eh?

Elizabeth Caldwell said...

By any chance is Sal Jackson the best swimming teacher ever?

Elizabeth Caldwell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jessica said...

Well haven't you been the busy beaver...your blog makeover is so cute! It's so fun to do but it takes so long!

You have converted me to this swimming program. I suppose I should get on the waiting list now so that I can get in by the time my kids go to JR high.