Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Day Brookie Turned 2

Brooke's 2nd b-day 1-9-09cOn January 8, 2009 our little Brookie turned two. Since she's spent the last year thinking she was six just like her sister, I think this birthday surprised her too. I love celebrating the people I love, so I am always looking for a reason to keep the party going. So, since Kyle was out of town and didn't get home until very late that night, we gave our two year old a two day celebration.

Katelyn and I had so much fun celebrating Brooke even though it started out on a sad note with Katelyn's Snow Days coming to an end so she started back to school. Brooke and I still had fun day just playing two-year old style.

Brooke's Birthday 1-8-09a

One of her favorite things to do is pack up her favorite toys in her "purse du jour" and carry them around while talking on the phone. She loves being big! If she isn't carrying her toys around in a purse, she has them in her hands. Looking at her with her fists clenched and over-filled, you'd think the toys were chosen arbitrarily. Not so... in fact, if she drops one, she will say "Oh No! I lost it!" and search frantically until she finds it - and don't even think about trying to replace it with a different one. There's no fooling this kid!

Brooke the Birthday Girl 1-8-09bBrooke the Birthday Girl 1-8-09a

Brooke loving her elmo balloon 1-8-09aBrooke's favorite part of the day was getting her Elmo balloon and having "Macaroni Cheese" with her sister for dinner. She loved doing a "cheers" toast during the meal and Katelyn was happy to oblige.

Dinner cheers for Brooke 1-8-09a

Birthday Monsters story time 1-8-09We ended the day with our tradition of reading the Sandra Boynton book "Birthday Monsters." It was so neat to see Katelyn reading it to her. We had a great day celebrating Brooke and we were excited for Daddy to get home so we could start her "real" birthday celebration the next morning.

Brooke's b-day breakfast 1-9-08aOnce the girls were asleep, I put up the decorations that Katelyn had carefully planned. The next morning, we let the official partying start as soon as the girls got up. We had Brooke's favorite - whipped cream and waffles - and having it on an Elmo plate absolutely made Brooke's day.

Brooke at My Gym 1-9-09aAfter Katelyn headed off to school, I took Brooke to play at My Gym. She loved playing, climbing, sliding and jumping. She was also thrilled with the singing and thought the bubble machine was incredible, but the best part was that she got to meet Elmo. She was so excited and absolutely loved him and he loved her right back!

Brooke meeting Elmo 1-9-09

Brooke's b-day lunch at the mall 1-9-09aAfter hanging out with Elmo we headed to the mall for lunch and some fun at the play land there. Brooke loved every minute of it and seemed like such a big girl. Then it was time for a nap before partying with the family that night. She wasn't thrilled about it at first, but went right to sleep and had a good nap to rest up for the evening's festivities.

Brooke's 2nd birthday cake 1-9-08aWhile Brooke slept, I finished up her Elmo cake and we got everything ready for her Elmo party. Brooke was so excited when she came downstairs and saw the set-up. She was in Elmo Brooke's 2nd birthday party table 1-9-09aheaven.

We headed out for her birthday dinner (Carl's Jr.) so that the girls could party in the play land. Brooke wasn't so sure about it at first but after I joined them, she warmed right up to all the big kid stuff but I am sure not as bendy as I used to be. By the end of the evening, Brooke had a large group of older kids (including Katelyn) up in the play structure following her orders as she directed them on what to do and how to do it. It was hilarious - they thought she was so cute and sweet and funny. Little do they know that not-funny it is for Katelyn at home sometimes. I really should have taken a video of it all, but it occurred in the room at the top of the structure... the one with Plexiglas windows and minimal ventilation, so it was super hot up there and smelled like sweaty IMG_3784-1puppies. I was just trying to manage my claustrophobia issue. So this is the only photo I got of them... surely a picture the birthday girl will always remember. Kyle spent most of the time laughing at his crazy wife... guilty as charged.

When we got home it was present time. Brooke loved opening her presents and it is clear that she has the engineer gene in her just like Katelyn. She was very methodical about opening each present and wanted to really check everything out rather than rip and tear through them. Katelyn loved helping her and for the first time really wanted some of the stuff she saw her little sister getting. There is something magical about a Barbie cash register I guess...

Brooke's 2nd b-day 1-9-09iBrooke's 2nd b-day 1-9-09fBrooke's 2nd b-day 1-9-09hBrooke's 2nd b-day 1-9-09e

She was so excited to get a new pair of crocs from Gram and Pop and a Pixo sun-catcher that Katelyn made for her. It is a big red heart with a little heart inside of it... Katelyn said it reminded her of them. I hope they will always be best buddies.Brooke's 2nd b-day 1-9-09kBrooke's 2nd b-day 1-9-09j

Brooke also loved the Doctor set that Katelyn gave her (Katelyn loved it too as you'll see in the video). They had a good time playing doctor but it was a little disturbing that every time Brooke would give herself a shot, she put it in her ear.

Brooke giving herself a shot 1-9-09Brooke's 2nd b-day 1-9-09g

Brooke's 2nd b-day 1-9-09aHer birthday wish also came true when she finally got her very own Elmo Live. Brooke has been crazy about that toy for months. She's played with it in the store so many times and not gotten to keep it, that when she opened it, she wasn't as excited as I thought she would be. Then it occurred to me that the poor thing probably figured it was about to go back on the shelf at Costco. She and Katelyn had a blast playing with him and definitely like his dance moves the most.

After presents, it was cake time - Brooke was so excited about all of it. She loved her "Elmo cupcake" and was ready to sing to herself.

Brooke's 2nd b-day 1-9-09b

Brooke's 2nd b-day - blowing out the candles again 1-9-09aThe funny part was that after she did it the first time she said in the sweetest voice possible, "More fire please?" How could you say no to that... we didn't and ended up re-lighting and signing to her at least a dozen times. After about 4 or 5 self-serenades, she instructed us to sing. We complied and she loved it and then was ready to get back to her solos.

Brooke's 2nd b-day 1-9-09d

She loved her birthday and loved having her sister there to help her. Katelyn was great about getting the wrapping paper started for her when needed and assisted when Brooke needed help blowing out the candles too. They are such good friends and really look out for each other. We had a wonderful time celebrating our "big girl" Brookie and can't believe she is two already.

When it was time for bed, Brooke wanted to say the family prayer. She was very careful to express her thankfulness for Jesus, and cupcakes and frosting... thank goodness it was in that order. We love you so much Brookie and are so grateful that you are a part of our family. Happy Birthday Baby!

Below are some videos from her big day. They are cut into You Tube-friendly chunks.

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh, my goodness! That is the cutest thing EVER!! I love how she sang Happy Birthday to Gram and Pop every time too! What a doll! You are the BEST mom in the world. CUTE cake!! I wish I was that nice! I love the sleepover they had too! Amanda and Alex have asked to have sleepovers, but I have personally slept in the same bed with each of them and I know how wild they are in the night, so I know that would NEVER work! They would kick each other all night long and no one would be sleeping. You are the greatest!! I hope you had a wonderful birthday! Love you tons!!

Tammy said...

Oh yeah - a few more things.......I love that she sang "Shake you bum bum" That is how we sing it at our house too! I also loved the comment you made about not being as bendy as you used to be! I was cracking up!! You are my favorite!!

day in the life of a prince said...

So cute!!! What a great mom you are!!!!

Monika said...

That cake is amazing. I can't show this post to my kids or they will start expecting these great things from me! She is adorable!

Christina B. said...

What a fun birthday! The picture of Brooke looking up at Elmo is priceless!