Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Day We Learned About the Titanic

Kate as doctor Alice Leader on  titanic day 6-14-11bKate as doctor Alice Leader on  titanic day 6-14-11cKate as doctor Alice Leader on  titanic day 6-14-11d

At the end of third grade, each class has a Titanic party.  After spending weeks learning about the Titanic, the kids dress us and pretend to be one of the surviving passengers.  They each presented a bio sketch of their passenger, learned etiquette for their fancy dinner and even had a dance. 

Katelyn was so excited about her blue dress.  We borrowed it from my friend Jessica and Katelyn absolutely LOVED it.  When Jessica’s daughter Maya wore it two years ago for her Titanic party, I actually asked her then if we could borrow it.  It was perfect and Katelyn made a very beautiful Dr. Alice Leader. 

Katelyn's titantic party 6-14-11aIn years past, parents have been able to be there to help with the dinner and hover during the presentations and dance.  This year however, we were banned thanks to some parents from a different grade that got in a fight in the hall last year during the event.  However, since I provided the fruit kabobs, I HAD to deliver them to the classroom that day.  I was hoping to  arrive during a time when I could casually snap a few pictures.  Unfortunately the kids were right in the middle of a Q & A with Mrs. Ackerman on the history of the Titanic’s voyage.  Definitely not a time I could blend in very well.  So I did what an respectable parent would do, I slowly walked out the door, grabbed my camera that I had carefully concealed in my pocket and snapped a Hail Mary picture through the door.  the flash went off, so it wasn’t as “below the radar” as I had hoped, but I was proud of myself for not doing worse and bringing in my tripod, SLR, video camera and setting up shop like I wanted to… restraint comes in all forms.

 Kate Bradley & Ben on titanic day 6-14-11aKate Bradley & Ben on titanic day 6-14-11b

Katelyn had a great time with her buddies and said it was the best day of third grade.

No comments: