Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Day They Learned About “The Nutcracker”

Ashley Brooke & Kate - Nutcracker 12-2-11aI have such fond childhood memories of going to see Ballet West perform “The Nutcracker” during the Christmas season.  So I could hardly wait to take Katelyn and Brooke to see the ballet this year.  Until now, the only “Nutcracker” performance they had seen was on a Barbie DVD, so I knew they were in for a treat. 

We started out our girls’ night out with dinner at their favorite place, Subway.  We ate downtown and they found a spot that overlooked the giant Christmas tree.  A few minutes into our meal, a local high school jazz band started performing right by us too.  It was so neat and the girls already thought that “going to The Nutcracker” was great!

Brooke & Kate at dinner - Riverpark Square 12-2-11aBrooke & Kate at dinner - Riverpark Square 12-2-11b

The ballet was at an historic theater in downtown Spokane.  The girls were amazed and we had a good time checking the place out.  It was beautiful. The girls also got some cute nutcracker ornaments as keepsakes. 

Brooke & Kate at The Nutcracker 12-2-11aBrooke & Kate at The Nutcracker 12-2-11cBrooke & Kate at The Nutcracker 12-2-11d

Brooke & Kate at The Nutcracker 12-2-11b

The girls absolutely loved the entire performance.  Brooke was hooked on Clara at the beginning of the show, but when the Sugar Plum Princess made her debut, I thought she was going to die.  They both loved every minute of it.

I really liked the ballet, but I absolutely loved watching Katelyn and Brooke enjoy it for the first time.  As soon as the curtain went up, I had tears in my eyes.  It was just one of those moments that I know they will always remember (just like I remember going for the first time) and a memory we will never forget.

When we got home, I noticed in the mirror that I had glitter all over my face.  Katelyn and Brooke both had me spray glitter in their hair for our big night out, but I was sure I didn’t put any on me, let alone my face.  That is when I realized that a good amount of that glitter ended up on me because I spent a large portion of the evening kissing them on the top of the head.  That is one of my favorite occupational hazards of all time. 

3 comments:

jessica said...

I remember taking Maya for the first time it was so magical. Wicked was even more magical for me because I got to take both girls...I love those good mom moments ;)

day in the life of a prince said...

What a fun night! What a great mom!!

Monika said...

So very fun! We love the Nutcracker at our house (some by choice and some are forced to!)