Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Day Things Got WAY Too Hot

When it was time to make  and decorate our bunny cakes this year, we did almost everything the same.  The girls invited some friends to join us and we made WAY too much frosting.  The only thing I decided to change was the frosting the girls would use to cover their bunnies.  They always work so hard to get it smooth, and that is nearly impossible with buttercream on a bumpy bunny head.

So I tracked down a popular frosting recipe used to “flood” decorate like you would a sugar cookie.  I thought it was brilliant and knew they would be so happy with the results.  I even found these cool plastic dispenser thingies that keep the frosting completely enclosed so that the only place it comes out is the tip.  I knew it would be perfect.

So we had everything ready and the kids were ready to start, but the new frosting wasn’t quite runny enough.  We got it started on Brooke’s bunny, but it was harder than it needed to be.  Since I already had it in the containers I decided that instead of thinning it, I would just microwave it in the container.  I knew it would be hot, so I grabbed it with a towel and took it over to the counter to attach the tip.  It burned me through the towel almost instantly and THEN it melted through the plastic, which ejected the cake tip I was carefully trying to attach and sent a geyser of molten frosting into the air and onto my poor innocent flesh.  I FREAKED OUT!  I tried to dump it off of my skin immediately while I ran to the sink doing an awesome scream cry.  The funny thing was that even in this situation, my OCD instincts went in to overdrive.  I therefore, thrust my burn-free hand in a cupping shape slightly below the hand that would inevitably start dripping the lava frosting, thus making my hands burn twins.  Even in an emergency while experiencing excruciating pain, my instinct was to not drip on the floor.  SERIOUSLY??? I am my own worst enemy.

It seriously hurt and it is the one and only time I had NO desire to taste frosting… probably because I knew that part of it definitely had my flesh in it.  Even though we didn’t use any of that batch, it was a visual I just couldn’t get past.

So I quickly performed some burn treatment on my hands and made a few batches of my tried and true buttercream.  I should have known, don’t fix it if it isn’t broken. 

Bunny cakes - Kate & Sara 4-4-12Bunny cakes - Brooke & Layla 4-4-12

For as much decorating as they did, they did twice as much licking and tasting.  That is why everyone gets their own color-coded bowl and knife.

Bunny cakes - Sara 4-4-12bBunny cakes - Layla 4-4-12cBunny cakes - Katelyn 4-4-12aBunny cakes - Brooke 4-4-12c

Bunny cakes - Brooke 4-4-12dBunny cakes - Katelyn 4-4-12cBunny cakes - Layla 4-4-12bBunny cakes - Sara 4-4-12a

The girls decorated happily and had a great time. I died a little inside though when I heard them talking about how they wished they could make the bunny fur be smooth, but then I looked at my blistering hands that still felt like they were on fire and decided not to worry about it until next year.

1 comment:

Jerica said...

Ouchie, ouchie, ouchie! I totally burn myself all the time to avoid dripping on the floor, countertops, or oven racks. Gotta love OCD.