So in what seemed like the blink of an eye, Katelyn finished her first year of school on none other than Friday the 13th. She loved Kindergarten and enjoyed every minute of it down to the very last bell ring. As you can see from the "1st day vs. Last day" photo, some things (like outfits and smiles) never change, but other things turned into an official first grader.
Second only to recess, riding the bus to the Kindergarten Center everyday was one of the highlights for Katelyn this year. Sometimes she said it was "too loud and crazy" but most of the time she was busy adding to the loud and crazy.
She loved riding the bus with her friends and I thoroughly enjoyed hearing all of her stories about their adventures.

Since the buses didn't run on the official last day of school, I drove Katelyn and Sara to the Kindergarten Center. They have had so much fun being in the same class this year. Having a familiar face to share the first day of Kindergarten with, made the transition so much easier (for them and for their very reluctant moms). Having that same familiar face to share the last day of school with made it perfect. The girls have both grown up and changed so much this year. But they are still the same loving, sweet and very silly girls that met when they were just four years old in Miss Jean's class at preschool.
Katelyn's class spent most of their last "day" of school happily signing each other's autograph books - Katelyn said she felt like a Disney character. Life just doesn't get much better than that. So after a 55 minute long last day of school, we celebrated the day by having a fun lunch at Katelyn's favorite - SUBWAY with Sara and her mom.
It was such a fun day and Brooke and I are both looking forward to having Katelyn home with us all day, everyday this summer. I don't know who will have a harder time with all-day 1st grade... but in the timeless words of Scarlet O'Hara, "I'm not going to think about that today... I'll think about it tomorrow."
6 comments:
I'm dreading the day Laurel goes to school because here in Texas, kindergarten is from 8:30-4:00! Doesn't that seem excessive? Anyway, I loved this post, especially how you had her wear the same thing on the first and last day of class. I'm going to do that, too. I love your blog!
I seriously can not believe what a difference one year of school can make in the look of a little kid! I hate to say it, but she lost that "little girl" look. For me, sending David to 1st grade was no where near as hard as kindergarten! The afternoons dragged a little at first, and lunch was lonely, but now I LOVE it!
OMG... Who teaches that girl to pose? She looks like a super model in her first and last day pictures! Can't wait to see you all when you head back to Utah.
Such a great idea to take pictures in the same outfit. Katelyn has grown so much right before my eyes! I know she will love first grade!
It was so cute to see different in Katelyn over the school year. So did she choose the same outfit for the last day as the same as the first? We miss you guy. I love reading your blog.
What a year, huh? I love our precious little kindergarten faces, I know we'll look back and totally miss this time in life, so I hope you have a great summer and enjoy. Let's do some play dates. Your blog rocks!
Post a Comment