Brooke has had a lot of hair from birth, so I have continually given her trims to even-up her hair. While her hair has increased rapidly in length and volume, so has her wiggliness; and in contrast, her patience with things involving her hair has decreased. That being said I decided it was time to take her in for a "real" haircut.
She patiently waited for over 30 minutes. She happily colored and read books with Katelyn... so far, so good. Then they called her name and it was finally her turn.
At first she didn't seem too upset - she wasn't necessarily a fan of the chair, but it was new and different, so she was willing to check it out. Then, she was brutally assaulted... translation - the nice lady tried to put the paper thing around her neck AND put a cape on her. That meant war in Brookie's mind!
I had planned on documenting the whole event so I could do a really cute post about her first haircut. Unfortunately, even after the nice hair cut lady got out the DVD player that had an Elmo show playing Brooke decided she needed some comfort from me during the process... comfort that would
not allow me to use my hands for anything but to hold on to her. Even though she was totally engrossed in the show, she was only "happy," ok she would only tolerate the process if she could hang on to and lay on my arm with my other arm around the back of her giving her "pats."
Thank goodness we had our field photographer Katelyn with us. She was happy to step in and was very thorough in the photos she took. For example, here is the show Brooke watched (notice the shot of our photographer in the mirror) and there is a shot of the nice hair cut lady's station, including the cape that she tried to assault Brooke with.
Here is a shot of Brooke enduring the process while she intently focuses on her Elmo show. And here is my favorite, the photo of the well-groomed man who's happily looking at the floor who also had his hair cut at Great Clips.
These are some "after" pictures that Brooke let me take since we were home and she was "safe" again. Even though it was traumatic for her at times, she was so proud of her new 'do.
Brooke's first haircut at Great Clips including a special commemorative "1st Haircut" certificate, $14. Having it documented by the best big sister in the world - priceless.
6 comments:
Could she pass some of that excess hair over to my 2 year old? People still mistake her for a boy!
That is one cute haircut and a maaster photographer in the making. Give the girls kisses for me!
She's so sweet. And thank you for adding that picture of the man. I appreciated it. You are hilarious.
I will be in town at Thanksgiving. My family will be visiting over the weekend too but I hope we can still meet up at some time. I would love to see you!
How nice they gave you a lock of hair. I guess it would be scary to have a stranger coming at you with scissors. She looks super cute, though.
She will learn soon enough... haircut day should be a national holiday. Maybe she'll like it better when she gets the wash and scalp massage. Ahhhh!
Now that I think of it, I may need a cut soon. ;)
Oh too funny. I think I need Katelyn around to be my personal photo journalist!
Post a Comment