Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Day We Took A Flying Leap

Kate and Brooke in leaves 11-15-08fToday was one of those Saturdays where I had a really hard time deciding what the "right" thing was to do. Kyle was working and I had a to-do list that was a million miles long. But more importantly (and you know that my lists are very very important to me), I have two beautiful girls that wanted to do something "fun." I realized that whether I vacuumed or cleaned the refrigerator or not, both jobs would need to be done again in the near future anyway. Likewise, the laundry was going anywhere and the bathrooms would be one day dirtier whether I cleaned them today or not. My kids on the other hand, are growing up way too fast and won't always think that doing something fun includes me, so we decided to taking a flying leap into the fall leaves in our yard.

So in all honestly, the leaves were on my to do list too. The city offers a free leaf pickup day in the fall and I love preserving garbage can space (I think it protects the aquifer or something too), but instead of making the tasks purely functional, we had some fun too. I raked the leaves in the front yard and got them bagged up for the leaf guy before having the girls join me. On the east side of our house we have this leaf catching wind tunnel that I knew would take a while and I did not want Brooke trying to play in the street while I was extracting leaves and all sorts of garbage from this chasm of debris. So the girls happily played doll house inside until I came in to get them for our backyard, leaf-jumping fun.

Kate and Brooke in leaves 11-15-08dWe started by raking the leaves, which both girls loved. Brooke had no idea that it would get more fun than that, so waited until we had a big pile and then we showed her how to really have fun with them.

The girls raced down the hill and jumped right into our pile.

Kate and Brooke in leaves 11-15-08bKate and Brooke in leaves 11-15-08eKate and Brooke in leaves 11-15-08aKate and Brooke in leaves 11-15-08c

Next we made a small leaf pile at the bottom of the slide - that was a hit too.

Brooke in leaves 11-15-08cBrooke in leaves 11-15-08bKate and Brooke in leaves 11-15-08g

Parsley 11-15-08We also went around and looked at what happens to all of the plants. The girls loved seeing all the brown crunchy plants and then finding what Katelyn called our "freakishly healthy parsley".

Brooke in leaves 11-15-08aIt was such a beautiful day that the only reason we finally went inside was because Brooke was hungry. We had such a good time and just as I suspected, all of my chores were waiting for me that afternoon - I am sure glad that they are the things I made wait.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

That looks like so much fun! You are such a cute mom!! That is something that I ALWAYS wanted to do as a child and I don't recall ever actually doing it. You amaze me at all the things you really do get done from your "lists" and still have time to be the cutest, most fun mom ever!! I need to take some lessons from you. I miss you so much! To answer your question to me......we spent Thanksgiving up in Park City with my family. My mom got her Marriott time share up there this week and we crammed 22 people into the place to eat our turkey! It was way crazy, but fun! Hope you guys had a great holiday! We love you!!!!!!!!