Our freaky winter storms in December not only closed schools two days before Winter break was supposed to start but also canceled the highly anticipated class holiday parties. More snow days at the beginning of the new year prevented the parties from being rescheduled. So Katelyn and her classmates were all extremely excited for their Valentine's Day party.
They delivered their valentine's to each other before the party started, so the first party activity was for them to open their valentines. The teacher also gave them an instruction that I don't think any of them ignored. She told them they could eat what ever they wanted. I think almost every Valentine had some type of candy strapped to it - so within the first 5 minutes of the party the kids were flying high.
It was fun to stand back and watch - the parents played a party game of our own... I like to call it the "Identify the kids that are extremely limited on eating treats at home" game. Those kids were almost comatose 7 minutes into the party. They hit the bouncing off the wall phase way to fast and didn't know how to
handle the blissful sugar rush they were experiencing. It was priceless. Katelyn on the other hand, was carefully perusing each note she received and methodically sorting her candy. She was very excited to eat the heart ring that she received though and worked on that one piece of candy the entire time. She actually brought me her Krispy Kreme donut and told me I could eat it because she already had a sucker. I wanted to inhale the thing but instead I saved it for her - I think she finally ate it two days later. An action I honestly cannot comprehend.
The class had so much fun - their teacher is wonderful and they are all really great kids! They played some great games and reminded me how fun BINGO can be - especially when the number markers are edible.
I am so glad that I can be there to see all the fun and excitement. This party was definitely different than her kindergarten soirée last year. The kids seem to have grown up so much during the past year even though they definitely have even more energy. They also love to think they invented things like the peace sign and bunny ears in pictures. They crack me up and it is so fun to see how much they change... but on the other hand, I like the things that seem to stay the same too.

No comments:
Post a Comment