Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Day We Had A Bacon Explosion

Kyle is an amazing chef and never ceases to amaze me when he decides it is time to try a new culinary creation.  He's made some amazing french dishes, successfully replicated The Cheesecake Factory's White Chocolate Raspberry cheesecake, and brought us the family favorite we call "Super Soup."  Last year for the Super Bowl he made "Defibrillator Dogs," which I am sure is a favorite with cardiologists.  Basically it is a giant hot dog, hollowed out, filled with cheese, wrapped with bacon, coated with onion ring batter and the deep fried to deadly perfection.  They were amazing but I am pretty sure it took a few years off of my life.  So tonight, he tried a new recipe provided by the same friend that brought us the Defibrillator Dog... this one was called the Bacon Explosion and let me assure you that is in no way a misnomer.  

Bacon Explosion - Kyle 2-8-09The ingredients include bacon, Italian sausage and your favorite flavored rub.  Kyle opted for Peppercorn-garlic on one side and Hickory on the other.  My favorite part of the process was when Kyle wove a lattice of bacon to form the base - who knew you could sew with bacon.  Next he placed a slab of Italian Sausage followed by another layer of bacon.  The rub went on each layer and then he rolled it up into a giant "Pig Log." 

Bacon Explosion - raw 2-8-09

After baking for two hours, it was indeed a Bacon Explosion - note the pool of grease surrounding the log.  We thoroughly enjoyed it but Katelyn cried when she thought we were going to make her eat it.

Bacon Explosion - cooked 2-8-09

14 comments:

B said...

Holy Moly... that's a LOT of bacon!!! Sounds like fun, that's awesome that Kyle is quite the culinary genius :)

AMY said...

Wow! I love bacon... looks yummy to me!

Rani said...

omg, i think you could gain 10 pounds just looking at it! It sure is woven pretty though.

Shem said...

I keep wavering between YUMMY and OMG how digusting.

kninsa said...

Bacon.....mmmmmmm

Anonymous said...

Oh thank goodness for people like you. Job security for me! I think I would have cried too...

day in the life of a prince said...

Yum! I love bacon, but that might be a little too much? I don't know can you ever have too much bacon?!?

jessica said...

Okay so instead of a home teaching visit next month, we want BACON EXPLOSION!

I can only imagine how delicious that was.

Bethany said...

I can't decide if that looks amazing or disgusting. I had no idea Kyle was so experimental in the kitchen!

The Sadler Crew said...

Wow. That is really all I have to say.

Unknown said...

that looks GOOD but SOO fattening!! WOW amazing. My hubby would never make something like that.

I just found a lot of missing comments on my blog and I saw that you asked for my email address. it is anewton16@.msn.com

I love those dresses you have your for girls. How long ago did you get them at Costco? I LOVE Costco dresses they are SO pretty and SOO inexpensive!!!

The Merricks said...

Derrick is so proud!

melissa walker said...

This pregnancy has me craving bacon--I would eat that whole thing by myself! I love that your husband tries out all this fun culinary adventures!

Christina B. said...

That looks SO good! But then I think bacon is one of the best foods of all. :) It is so cool that Kyle is a good cook and will experiment with new things.