Friday, April 2, 2010

The Day Emily Went Back to the Hospital

Emily & Dad at the hospital 4-2-10cBefore we knew it Friday had arrived and it was time for Emily’s second weight check.  Unfortunately, she was not gaining weight yet and she looked a little yellow.  So they had us take her to have a biliruben level just as a precaution.  At the doctor’s office, she really didn’t look that bad.  Even the nurse said she thought everything was fine but they just wanted to make sure.  They said it would take about an hour to get the results, but they were calling my cell phone before we even made it home.  Not only were Emily’s levels high (almost 22), but they were high enough for her age (5 days old) that she had to be admitted to the hospital right away.  I was so glad that her doctor didn’t just go by how she looked, because none of us would have ever guessed.

Emily & Dad at the hospital 4-2-10bOnce we were checked in at the hospital, the fluorescent lights definitely showcased her jaundice.  The nurses affectionately called her “little punkin” during her stay.   She did well in the photo therapy bed that afternoon and evening, and her bili level was coming down nicely. 

Emily in her tanning outfit 4-2-10Emily in her tanning bed 4-2-10

Emily & Pop at the hospital 4-2-10By bedtime however, she’d had enough of her little bed and wanted out.  I was so glad that Pop came to hang out with us at the hospital.  We watched the Jazz/Laker game and he helped me try to get her calmed down and back in her tanning bed.

Emily at the hospital 4-3-10bShe and I had a long night, but by morning her numbers were down even more and they sent us home late that evening. 

 

 

 

Emily at the hospital 4-3-10aAs you can see in this photo, she was so happy when I told her we got to go home for Easter.  Emily and I were so glad to be home again and hopeful that her bili numbers the next day would stay down.

6 comments:

Monika said...

I HATE HATE HATE the bili bed, but yet am so thankful for them. So glad she is doing better!

Rani said...

OMG, I feel so bad for her, but I love that smiley pic that is the cutest thing I've ever seen!

Bethany said...

Wow! Love that you've already caught smiles on the camera! Joseph looked at the pictures with me and asked, "why is that baby blue?"

Kristin Menzie said...

Poor little Emily! I hope you guys are both doing great.

melissa walker said...

She is beautiful--so glad she is doing well and everything's great!

Nana Shanna said...

I'm so glad that things are starting to get back to normal, whatever "normal" really is. Love you!