Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Day We Learned About Butterflies

Our favorite part of the Pacific Science Center had to be our visit to the butterfly house.  There were butterflies everywhere and they were not the least bit shy.

 

 

One of them in particular loved Stacey and tried to camouflage him/herself on her shirt.  It also perched happily on her camera which was a big crowd pleaser.

 

As we walked around the Butterfly House, Katelyn kept sharing random butterfly trivia… I didn’t think much about it until later on when were were checking out the butterflies that were “eating” a plateful of oranges.  As we were looking at them, Katelyn shared something about how they use overripe oranges to attract the butterflies.  That’s when Abbi who is 13 turned to her and very matter-of-fact tone asked, “Katelyn, how do you know all of this stuff?”  Katelyn immediately replied rather dryly, “I  read the signs.”  Classic. 

We loved seeing all the amazing butterflies and I was so relieved that we didn’t step on one… they were everywhere!

Emily loved checking them out… I am pretty sure she would have tasted one of them if she could have.

Just as we were getting ready to leave, the highlight of Katelyn’s day happened.  She is still crazy about anything that is blue and had been watching for an azure butterfly (her favorite from the Fancy Nancy – Bonjour Butterfly book).  I heard her squeal and when we looked over, a blue butterfly had landed right on her head.  And with that, our visit to the butterfly house was complete.

No comments: