Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The Day Emily Decided to “Just Get It Over With…”

Before my girls have their well-child Doctor’s appointment after each birthday, they always ask the same question; “Do I have to get shots this time?” I knew Emily’s four year old visit would elicit the same question, so I decided to not tell her about the appointment until that day.

Technically, Emily didn’t need to get her Kindergarten shots until after her 5th birthday but since Kindergarten registration would be before that in 2015, I was hoping to get it done a year early, because we all know, that is how I roll.  The earlier, the better.

As I suspected, she asked me if she’d be getting shots that day.  I told her that she didn’t have to get her Kindergarten shots until next year, but if she just did it that day, it would be done and she’d be ready for Kindergarten.  Much to my delight, after a thoughtful pause, she said, “Let’s do it today and just get it over with!”  Love. That. Girl.

Emily's Kinder shots 4-16-14aEmily's Kinder shots 4-16-14b

She got her shots and was super brave about it.  She didn’t even shed a tear until about a minute after the shots had been administered.  I think it hurt her feelings more than anything.  But a few tears were fixed by a big hug from me and a sticker from the nurse.  Now she is ready for kindergarten, but I know I’m not.

2 comments:

Amy F. said...

What a brave little cutie!

Monika said...

Darling. I sure love her!