Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Day Things Were Wickedly Awesome

I have always loved Broadway shows and Wicked is definitely one of my favorites.  The girls and I have the Soundtrack memorized and love to belt it out together. 

Kyle and I went to see it when it came to Spokane a few years ago.  I loved it so much that when I heard it was coming this way again, I knew I really wanted to see it.  I didn't think Kyle would be too excited about going again but when I asked him, he surprised me.  He didn’t want to go again but told me I should take the girls to go see it.  I was beyond excited and so were they.

We decided that Emily was a bit too young to go with us this time but she didn’t mind because Kyle promised her a special daddy-daughter date night.  She thought that would be fine but made sure to let me know that she got to come the next time something Wicked this way comes.

Brooke 5-7-14aKatelyn & Brooke 5-7-14Katelyn 5-7-14b

We started out the evening by picking Katelyn up from ballet and then heading out for a quick dinner at one of their favorite spots, Subway.  Just as we finished our dinner, Tami and Kara arrived to join us for our Wickedly awesome night. 

Brooke at Subway 5-7-14Kate at Subway 5-7-14

And even though Broadway shows are awesome, we were planning ahead and knew it would be too late for dessert when the show ended, so we had frozen yogurt and then headed for the show.

Fro Yo Earth Kate Kara & Brooke 5-7-14 

Wicked 5-7-14b Kara Brooke & KatelynSo you know when you are really excited about doing something for/with your kids and you set these super-high expectations?  And you know how those expectations are usually way too high?  Well this was the time that the experience exceeded ALL of my expectations.  The girls loved EVERYTHING about the show.  They knew the story and music so well, that they really got to enjoy all the nuances and theatrical genius they were seeing and hearing.  The thoroughly loved Wicked 5-7-14 Katelyn & Brookeevery minute and I was on cloud nine enjoying it with them.  Being with Tami and Kara made it extra special too for all of us.  Our kids have grown/are growing up together and it is always fun to look back and think of how far we’ve come.  It doesn’t seem long ago we were watching Kara take her first steps while 3 year old Katelyn and little Kyle played in Soccer Tots together.

The only thing that was less than ideal was having to leave Emily behind.  That all turned out just fine though because she was thrilled to go on a big date with Kyle.  He sent me pictures of their big night on the town so that I knew she was happy too.

Their first stop was the Toy Store where she got to pick out anything she wanted.  She instantly knew what she wanted… her very own nail kit.  Kyle still had her go around the entire store to make sure, but her mind was made up.  When he sent us this picture of her with her prize, he had us all laughing because he captioned it, “Put Yo’ Wicked tickets in the Suck-It Bucket!”  We still laugh about that one.

Emily's toy store prize 5-7-14Emily's dinner in dad's office

The next picture was of her with her dinner that she carefully selected.  It consisted of cheese pizza and a chocolate shake.  The best part was that she requested to eat it in Kyle’s office at work.  That of course led to a post dinner activity of playing in the “Button Room.”  Good times. She had so much fun with her daddy and loves telling anyone that will listen all about their date.  She prefers to paint your nails while she tells you about it though.

As a side note, about a week before the show and their big date, Emily and I were at Wal-Mart and she saw something (can’t remember what it was) and she said, “Oh, Mom!  I need to get that for Dad so he won’t be sad when I go to Wicked.”  I gently reminded her that she wasn’t going to Wicked this time to which she replied, “Oh not this time mom, the NEXT time it comes and I get to go.  Dad will be home all alone.”  Love. That. Girl.

Even though I don’t want any of the girls to get a day older, it really is fun having “big kids.”  They are so fun to do things with and I love having shared interests.  Plus now I can get a mani/pedi any time I want one at Emily’s Nail Salon. 

As another side note, I am typing this post we are driving to Boise and Emily is in the backseat listening to her iPod with headphones on and singing the Wicked soundtrack at full volume. No lie.

No comments: