Monday, June 21, 2010

The Day Summer Got Off to A Piercing Start

I am so behind on blogging it is ridiculous, but I will catch up, if it’s the last thing I do… which clearly it is.  So let’s head back to June…

Brooke & Kate pre piercing 6-21-10

To kick off the first day of summer break, the girls knew exactly what they wanted to do – head to the mall for a day of shopping and get their ears pierced.  The rule at our house is that you can have your ears pierced when you ask to have it done.  Since we have early talkers this could have caused some problems, but Katelyn is very methodical in her decision making and waited until she was almost eight years old.  Good-time Brookie however went through a different thought process to arrive at her decision to have her ears pierced.  It went something like this… “Earrings are fancy.  I like being fancy.  Katelyn is doing it.  So, I am doing it.”  We were lucky enough to have Gram visiting with us too, so we loaded up our party of five and headed off to the mall. 

Katelyn was appropriately concerned about the pain and what would happen, but she’d made up her mind and there was no turning back.  Brooke had NO clue what she was in for, but Katelyn was doing it, so she would too.  They were both so excited and happily picked out sparkly flower earrings.  Katelyn’s of course were blue and Brooke’s were pink.  Here are the girls before the big moment.

Kate pre piercing 6-21-10Brooke pre piercing 6-21-10

Kate post piercing 6-21-10Katelyn was super brave and was a very satisfied customer – she got a little teary after each ear was pierced, but she was so happy when it was all done.

Brooke seemed un-phased after watching the process and was anxious for her turn.  Fortunately, Gram suggested we see if they could do both of Brooke’s ears at the same time.  We had to wait about 15 minutes to make that happen, but it was so worth it.  I am 100% sure that Brooke would only have one ear pierced for the rest of her life if they’d been done separately.  We knew we were in trouble when she said “Owwwe!!!” when the piercing guns just touched her ears.  It went downhill from there.

Brooke pre piercing 6-21-10bSad Brooke post piercing 6-21-10dSad Brooke post piercing 6-21-10bSad Brooke post piercing 6-21-10c

Brooke was heartbroken and her ear piercing definitely resulted in a piercing cry.  She was temporarily placated by a sucker peace-offering.  But waves of sadness continued to wash over her after it was over.  Here are the girls with their newly pierced ears.

Sad Brooke post piercing 6-21-10Happy Kate post piercing 6-21-10

Brooke & Kate post piercing 6-21-10Once Brooke saw how great her ears looked, she was definitely happy with her decision to follow Katelyn’s every move. 

Next we headed to Build-A-Bear for a more fun.  The girls both had gift cards they’d been dying to use and found new clothes for their beloved furry friends.   

Brooke at BAB 6-21-10Kate dressing Shimmer at BAB 6-21-10Kate & Brooke at BAB 6-21-10

To finish off our fun, we had a great lunch at Red Robin.  It was such a fun day and we were so glad Gram was able to be there with us.

Gram & Kate at Red Robin 6-21-10Mom & Brooke at Red Robin 6-21-10

Here is a video of Brooke’s piercing experience… she still gets teary when she watches it.

alt

4 comments:

Shem said...

I am so sadistic. Watching the video made me laugh. Does that make me a bad person?

The Sadler Crew said...

Girls are fun! Of course they are also dramatic and moody but let's concentrate on the good traits. Earrings are fun!

melissa walker said...

I have had the earring debate in our family too. I'm making them wait until they're 10 because I'm lazy and don't want to take care of it myself! Although I remind them that's two years before I was allowed to do it! I love that your girls are so sweet together!

Nana Shanna said...

I didn't get my ears pierced until I was 31 years old--back in "my" day only the "fast" girls had their ears pierced. Our girls had theirs done at age 12-one of the rites of passage for that age for our family and also because as Melissa Walker said, I didn't want to take care of them. By the way, my mom got her ears pierced at age 54 (a week or so after I got mine done.) I sure like the options with pierced earrings. I have friends that still do the screwbacks or clips. When I try those I resemble Brooke's frame of mind. Smart doing both ears at once!