Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Day Katelyn Became an Author

Katelyn and Mrs Boni 6-9-09aTo culminate their work throughout the school year, each of the 1st grade classes have an “Author Party” at the end of the year to celebrate all the work that the students have accomplished. Since first grade is when they really start writing stories and poems it is fun to look at their progression throughout the year. each child receives a book of their work that showcases what they have done throughout the year. It includes a dedication page written by the child as well as letters from their parents and their teacher. Since I helped assemble the books I thought I knew what to expect that day, but it turned out to be even better.

To kick off the party, the teacher shared some comments and then played the slideshow. Once again, I thought I knew what to expect since I had taken lots and lots of pictures for the show. But seeing the pictures of those sweet little kids (especially MY sweet little kid) put to perfect music was really emotional. I had tears in my eyes within the first few minutes and when the song “Let Them Be Little” came on with pictures of the kids now and when they were babies, that pushed me over the edge from tears in eyes, to tears running down my cheeks. The next song was “Forever Young” which also happens to be on our wedding video so that didn’t help the tear flow. At that moment, Katelyn looked up at me, said “Oh mom, this stuff is kind of hard on you isn’t it?” That made me smile. I made sure she knew they were happy tears – she assured me that she did. As I looked around the room, I saw that I was definitely not alone in my emotion, so that made me feel better too.

Katelyn and Mrs Boni 6-9-09bAfter the video, her teacher presented each student with their book and a copy of the slid show and whispered words of encouragement and excitement for them in their upcoming years of school.

Then it was time to sit and look through the books and enjoy some treats. There were two Costco cakes for dessert, so Katelyn and I were in heaven.

Author cake 6-9-09a Author cake 6-9-09b

Author party 6-9-09aIt was such a wonderful way to celebrate these kids – they LOVED every minute of it! I am so grateful that we have such a wonderful school with truly AMAZING teachers. We know second grade will be wonderful and exciting too, but I hope the summer will linger awhile.

1 comment:

The Merricks said...

What a nice program they have for the kids.