I still remember the coveted “Field Day” in elementary school that happened at the end of each school year. I don’t remember what we did, but I remembered loving it. So this year, Brooke and I had a chance to help out at Katelyn’s field day. I thought about not going but Katelyn insisted that we come – I was glad she wanted us there.
It was a beautiful day and Brooke was compliant to sit in the stroller until we were at the activity that she could participate in (more on that later)… all it took was a bag of apples and caramel from McDonald’s and a sucker from the bank.
Katelyn had a great time running around with her buddies while they tried out all of the different activities. Her BFF has a different teacher and the twins were already out of town on a summer trip, so I was worried she might feel a little lost without her sidekicks, but she still had a great time. She spent most of her time with Hailey and Nate and all three of them kept making sure Brooke was right with them. All of Katelyn’s
friends are so sweet to Brooke – I hope the novelty of her “cute little sister-ness” doesn’t wear off. During any of their “hang out with Brooke breaks,” Brooke would graciously share her snacks with any takers.
Here they are on the obstacle course… ![]()
… and playing horseshoes and racing in the plunger torch relay…![]()
![]()
… and racing on the scooter and doing some potato wrestling.![]()
The highlight for the kids however was after they participated in 10 event (and had the marks on their arm bands to prove it), the were eligible to get a snow cone from the concession stand. they enjoyed eating their cool treats while they enjoyed the musical and dancing talents of Brooke. She discovered the “dancing station” and couldn’t resist the beat so I let her out of the stroller and she was off. She danced
in the heat without a break for over an hour. She even made requests to the DJ for certain songs – it was a good thing I was their to translate. “Booboo Chicken” is more commonly known as the “Chicken Dance” with mainstream clubbers. The kids all loved dancing with her, but they had to keep taking breaks since no one could keep up with the mad dance moves of the two year old in the heat and sun. I couldn’t have been more proud.
We had a great time and I am so glad Katelyn wants us to come despite the spectacle we make… but she sure is a cute spectacle.
1 comment:
All I can say is... I miss you.
Post a Comment