Katelyn was so excited for her seventh birthday that she could not go to sleep the night before. I was up decorating and finishing up her cake so her insomnia made it difficult to surprise her on her big day. She couldn’t sleep for two reasons that night: 1) the sheer excitement and joy a birthday brings and 2) she really wanted a DSi and she wasn’t sure she was getting one.
That morning the birthday girl chose to open presents even before having chocolate chip pancakes. She was ecstatic when she unwrapped her light blue DSi. I’ve truly never seen her so excited about a present.
She had a great morning playing with her DSi and getting lots of birthday phone calls from family and friends. Then we were off to church – that worked out perfectly because it gave the DSi time to charge. When I asked her if her DSi was as good as she thought it would be, she told me, “No, Mom it is WAY better than I ever imagined.” I love those moments.
After church she played more DSi, got more birthday phone calls and had her favorite dinner of spaghetti and homemade alfredo sauce. Then it was time for cake.
Along with her love of all things Wii and DS, Katelyn adores the princesses from the Mario games. Her favorite is Daisy. Lucky for me this is what she said when I asked her what kind of cake she wanted this year. She said, “Well, I want a regular rectangle cake with lots of daisies and decorated the fancy way you do it mom. Oh, and it would be neat if there was a Daisy figurine like the one I got of Minnie Mouse.”
I was so relieved. Two months earlier I saw a Daisy figurine at Blockbuster of all places and purchased it without hesitation. I was almost certain that would be part of her cake request and was hoping for once that I wouldn’t have to sell my soul to eBay to find what she wanted. I hit the jackpot this year. She loved the cake and it was easy to do, except for the part where the heat made the white frosting for the daisies melt. Thanks to the sparkle powder, I don’t think she even noticed.
Our good friends, The Wills, came by that evening to bring her a present, so they were able to join us for cake and ice cream. We were so glad their family was there to celebrate with us.
Brooke led us in the birthday song, several times and all the kids had a chance to blow out some candles. Then it was time for her rainbow chip, cherry filled cake with strawberry ice cream.
The kids all had a little cake with their frosting and then they were well wound and ready to play. After bouncing around in the back yard they ended the evening making funny audio clips and taking silly pictures with Katelyn’s DSi. It was such a great day and she is such an amazing daughter. Happy 7th Birthday sweetheart!
6 comments:
I really need you here to get my life in perspective.
Happy BDay Katelyn... we have yet to hook you up with Aidan on the Wii. Maybe us parents need to get on the ball! :)
I am glad you had such a great birthday Katelyn! We love you so much!
Don't you love it when they're so happy with the presents and the cake? Sometimes the anticipation is more stressful for the parents. Katelyn is positively beaming!
Okay, I'm going to have to figure out what a DSi is. :) I'm really showing my age. I'm glad that Katelyn (and all of you) had such a great birthday day!
I love it--what a cute birthday girl and a great birthday-planning mom! Also--we got the bunk beads at a Carson-Pirie Scott furniture store. They didn't have the color I wanted in the store, but when I asked a saleslady they had a whole catalog of kids' furniture that wasn't in the store that they could order.
Post a Comment