Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Day We Drove Down the Coast of Maine

Atlantic Eyrie Lodge 10-7-09aOn Wednesday morning, we woke up to a very soggy Bar Harbor.  Instead of the sunny blue skies we’d enjoyed the day before, it was cloudy and grey.  By the time we left our hotel the rains came tumbling down and didn’t stop.  We were driving Coast of Maine 10-7-09bdown the coast of Maine, so the rainy view was still spectacular but we were all glad that our sightseeing was car-based that morning. 

At lunch time we arrived in Camden, Maine.  Our good Camden sign 10-7-09friends have a baby boy named Camden so I was of course focused on the photo op.  Much to Kyle’s dismay, I determined that the best sign was the one we passed as we entered the town.  It was raining so hard that turning around on the narrow little windy roads wasn’t an option, so when we passed the sign pictured above, I had him stop just around the corner so we could take a photo for our friends.    It really was raining hard and I had no intention of asking Kyle to do my dirty work., but as soon as he stopped the car he asked for the camera and disappeared off into the rain.  It was such a nice gesture but somewhere along the road, his good deed went very very wrong.

You know when you are driving and you see a car go through a giant puddle and the splash actually creates a huge wave that encases an innocent bystander… well, that is what happened to Kyle – the bad part is that he wasn’t the driver of the car, he was the bystander.  Since this all took place around the corner we didn’t know what happened until we looked up and there through the windshield stood a very very wet Kyle who looked very very displeased.  Even though I slightly feared for my life, I couldn’t stop laughing.  Unfortunately, I wasn’t brave enough to ask him to pose for a picture.  But I can assure you, the look on his face was priceless.  

Camden Waterfall 10-7-09We had a fantastic lunch at Cappy’s and enjoyed Camden’s charm – then we headed back out in search of a light house.

As we drove to Portland it rained like crazy.  But just as we got to Portland, it started to clear and by the time we arrived at Fort Williams to see the Head Light (lighthouse) we had blue skies.

Portland Maine Head Light 10-7-09a

To celebrate our good fortune, the girls and I didn’t even wear our jackets… but we should have.  We had a great time checking out the lighthouse but just as we were finishing up our visit, the wind started, the black clouds rolled in and the opened up right on top of us.   

Kate & Mom Portland Maine Head Light 10-7-09aBrooke & Daad Portland Maine Head Light 10-7-09a 

The wind was blowing so hard that you couldn’t even run.  The rain drops were giant and hail-like and I swear it was coming at us sideways.  I was laughing so hard as I was “running” against the wind that I made ZERO progress.  I finally stopped and walked and increased my speed dramatically.  The girls thought it was funny too and we all looked like drowned rats when we got in the car.  Notice the size of the drops on the window behind Katelyn – it was crazy.

Katelyn after the storm - Portland ME 10-7-09Brooke after the storm - Portland ME 10-7-09

We finished the day by driving into Boston, having another great dinner at “The Chateau” and then navigating to our hotel in the middle of Faneuil Hall Marketplace at night, in the rain, after traveling over 1400 miles by car in 7 days.  That arrival into Boston is a story in and of itself…

To be continued…

6 comments:

Rani said...

It's a crying shame you didn't get a picture!

jessica said...

Someday I will tell Camden this story...we love the picture, in fact I want you to email it to me. I want to put it in his room.

When you got to that part of the story about the puddle, I thought Kyle was the one that got splashed! Speed reading....anyway it was a funny mental picture. I'm glad some other poor guy took it instead of Kyle.

Nana Shanna said...

We loved all the lighthouses and covered bridges back east. We'll have to compare pictures some time. I think you had bluer skies for Fort Williams Light than we did though. :)

Karen said...

I LOVED Camden! I could definitely live in a quaint little town like that!

Christina B. said...

Your pictures are so amazing. I want to frame some of them and hang them up!

Bethany said...

What a fun trip. I've been trying to map all your adventures- you've been everywhere! how are you feeling? (I'll be there 11/13-11/16 so get ready!)