So Emily is a really great napper. She loves her bed and she takes a really good (long) nap every afternoon. She wakes up happy and stays that way until bedtime.
On Wednesday, we read stories and then I put her in bed just like I do every other day. She started rearranging her animals and playing, but I didn’t think much of it. So, Brooke and I headed downstairs for a game of Princess Monopoly. I was so busy being mercilessly beaten, that I only sort of noticed that Emily was wide awake and talking up a storm the whole time we played. After our game, we got dinner started and did a few other things. At some point, it finally got quiet upstairs so we went about our afternoon as usual and I didn’t think much of it. She ALWAYS naps. The silence was only temporary though and appeared to be caused by the incredible concentration that was required for Emily’s DIY project.
The talking and laughing started up again and it was loud enough that it was clear she was not going to sleep, so Brooke and I went upstairs to check on Miss Emily. This is what we found…
She was so pleased with herself and before I could even react, Brooke said, “Quick Mom! Go get the camera!” I’ve never been more proud of her. I’m glad to see that I have trained her to properly prioritize in situations that require split-second judgment.
Emily was thrilled with her trick and Brooke loved telling the story to everyone she saw yesterday. Since Emily never napped I was surprised that she was in such a good mood all evening. When the girls were having their dessert I thought it was strange that Emily was being so quiet. There is usually nothing quiet about dessert time at our house. Then we discovered why she was so quiet…
It looks like “Naked Wednesday” wore her out.
So today, I decided I would periodically do a visual check in just to make sure that things were ok. Again, Emily didn’t go to sleep right away but she was just sitting up playing with her stuffed animals. I was relieved that her Wednesday dress code (or lack thereof) didn’t seem to carry over to Thursday. So I let her be and went about my business. About 30 minutes later I decided I would go see if she was still awake and playing or if she had finally gone to sleep.
She’d gone to sleep but I am sure it was because she’d worn herself out. Apparently her Thursday pants were a little bit harder to get off.
Going forward, she will be napping in a onesie and overalls sealed with a onesie on top of another onesie. I bought the aforementioned onesies tonight and since they came in a three pack, I decided that is how we will use them. “Naked Friday?” I don’t think so Emily.
7 comments:
that's the best post..my favortie it the half way off pants, so funny
Reading this was a great way to start my day. David was a naked napper too. I'm glad you only found her naked without any "suprises" in her bed. ;)
I've got a little one who is "redefining" her nap too! I'm not so happy with the results. The half-pants picture cracks me up!
Your Emily post made my day! I love it how Brooke knew immediately that "Naked Wednesday" and, pardon my French here, "Plumber's Crack Thursday" were perfect photo opportunities.
Nana Shanna's prediction: You may be able to temporarily foil her naptime "fun" for a while, but I bet she'll figure out how to get "au naturale" somehow.
Hilarious, looks like you might need to invest in nap time overalls...
This is awesome! These pictures are priceless, way to go Brooke for thinking of the camera! Oh Emily makes my heart so happy! What a cutie!
HILARIOUS!!!!! I love her so much! Both my boys enjoyed naked time too. (Well, actually they still do.) Every time Josh gets out of the tub, he immediately rips off his towel and hops up on my bed and sings "naked party" while jumping on the bed.
Post a Comment