One of our favorite Christmas traditions is making a gingerbread house with Gram during the holidays. Thanks to Southwest airlines and the great little Wilton kits at Costco, we've been able to successfully continue that tradition even after we moved from Utah. So when Gram came to visit us in December we were ready.
Last year we assembled and decorated our house while Brooke napped, so I was curious to see how "in to it" she would be this year. As soon as we started assembling it, she asked "What is that?" over and over. We told her it was a gingerbread house and since then she has called it "Ginger's house." The girls were so excited to start eating candy, I mean decorate the house.
First, we assembled the house with the frosting glue. So to pass some time while the foundation cured we read "The Gingerbread Girl." Then it was time for the real fun to begin...
The girls loved decorating the house and we were all pleasantly surprised at how well Brooke did keeping in-line with Katelyn's design plan. But even better than decorating with candy involved them getting to eat frosting until they both looked like they were going to be sick.
![]()
As you can see though, Brooke became very unhappy when the frosting went away. She went from upset to downright mad, but then the sugar buzz kicked back in and she was happy to mimic Katelyn's every move and finish decorating "Ginger's House."
The girls were both pleased with how well Ginger's house turned out and I don't think either of them noticed that I ate one of the little trees before they had a chance to "plant" it in Ginger's yard. We had a great time and are so glad that Gram could be with us - Mom, you are the best part of the tradition!
3 comments:
I love that you captured Brooke's meltdown...
Ginger's house turned out fabulous!
What a fun tradition for you and your cute mom! I love that you have been able to continue it! That is great!! I bet Francita loves it too! Love you guys!!
Thanks for the idea, Ash. We really loved making the gingerbread house you suggested. And... uh... my boys house looks... uh... just like yours. :(
Well... at least I can see that they are truly boys.
Post a Comment