Friday, August 8, 2008

The Day Brooke Started Her 12-Step Program

Brooke and her binky August 2008 At Brooke's 18 month well-child visit, I decided to ask her Pediatrician when we should think about taking away her binky (aka pacifier or Soothie). Katelyn never wanted anything to do with them, but Brooke has really liked having one. It started out as something to just help her "take the edge off" when she was going to sleep or fussy as a newborn, but then we started taking them with us when we'd leave the house, just in case she needed a quick fix. Before we knew it, she was using a lot. But it made her so happy. As long as it was the right kind of course. She loved the green Soothie brand pacifiers, you know the ones they give you in the hospital for NEWBORNS. When she was three months old, I decided to at least get her some that were for older babies. They were cute too - the stage 2 size came in pink. I was so excited. She wouldn't use any other kind of pacifier but since this was still a Soothie, I knew she would love it. I was wrong. She hated it and only loved the green ones for newborns. So I did what I felt like I had to do... I went out and bought more, and I had a friend give me a whole bag full that her kids never wanted anything to do with. So, there we were 18 months later with me asking her doctor when we should help her "quit."

Just as I expected, she said that Brooke should only be using it for bedtime (maybe naps too) now that she was 18 months old and Brooke's Stink Eye Aug 2008she should be done with it when she turns 2. As I had this conversation with the Pediatrician, I am NOT exaggerating when I say that Brooke stood across the room from us GLARING and giving us the "stink eye." I didn't get a picture of it then, but this is a photo of her "general stink eye" - a look she gives on a regular basis. Anyway, Her doctor even said, "Wow, she knows exactly what we are talking about doesn't she?" Then she laughed... I started to cry inside because I knew this wouldn't be easy. The good news is that I am all about limits and consistency for kids. They want it... they need it... it's good for them... but we had company so I decided not to be too rigid. After all I didn't want our little "problem" to make other people miserable. So I took the hard line and declared that "binky is for bed." Except for when we have company or are in public or when I am just too tired. Hmm...

IMG_0024We definitely made progress, despite my inconsistency (which I loathe) she did well. My mom sent her the old-school Little People version of Cookie Monster and Grover (Grover doesn't have a face anymore because I sucked the lead based paint off of it when I was a toddler). She loves them and we thought it would give her something to hold and to trade-in the binky for when she got out of bed. I would go in to get her and say "Ok, Brooke, binkies are for bed." We'd make the trade and it would go well until one of the aforementioned exceptions would occur. We've actually got to the point now where I say "Brooke, binkies are for bed" and she will take one last "hit" and then spit it out. Now that is progress.

We still have over four months before she'll have to go "cold-turkey." So in the meantime we have our list of exceptions to which we've also added road trips, illness and teething. I have never been one to think it's best to wait to implement something with a child because it will get easier. I know it won't get easier as she gets older, actually it will get exponentially harder but let's face it... in this case, "Hello, my name is Ashley and I am a complete push-over."

11 comments:

Kristin Menzie said...

Kevin and I lol with the Grover comment! The stink eye is priceless too! Can't believe I still haven't met her, but got a good update from my mom the other day. We miss you guys!

melissa walker said...

I'm right there with you--trying to give up the binky habit is harder on me than on Halle! It's just easier to give in but I have to be tough--only 6 more weeks before mine's two!

day in the life of a prince said...

I love this post. It hits so close to home! Everyone of my kids have had to be "detoxed" from the binkie! We even had the binkie fairy come for Madellyn, in exchange for binkies she brought a Big Wheel, later that night Madellyn wanted to trade the Big Wheel back for the binkies. Talk about a "push-over" mom, she got the Big Wheel and the binkies!!

kninsa said...

Cute pics. Cute blog. We're (I'm) thinking about you and hoping to see you again soon.

The Sadler Crew said...

Pushover,what's that??
Love,
Pot

Amy said...

Now we need to find a 12-step program for MY Brooke, who is a thumbsucker at age 3.

Ilene said...

Good luck. Jackson still has to sleep with his Bubba (a bunny) but we have limited it to bed time and he is still alive.

Brooke will make it- and you too.

The Law Spot said...

Ashley, you are TOO funny. I've always loved the way you tell stories. Hang in there! Any change for kids is just not fun for mom and dad either!

jessica said...

You sucking off the lead based paint explains A Whole Lot ;)

At least you can throw away the binky, I can't cut off Eden's thumb! She's FIVE and still sucks it when she goes to bed...UGH!!!!

AMY said...

Good info. Jack definitely loves his "pacie" as we call it. And finding comfort in something is a good thing. Aidan still sleeps his baby blanket. I'm afraid he'll never give that thing up until the bitter end.

Meghann said...

You are a way better mom than I am. Lucy LOVES her "binks" and she'd give us a much harder time than just the "stink eye" if we attempted to take it away. Did I mention she turned 2 last month?