When we moved in three years ago we were so excited about the nice landscaping that the previous owners had done. But just outside our front door is a tree/bush that we have not been sure what to do with. If we let it grow, it goes nuts and gets big in a very odd-shaped way. Last summer it got huge and became the summer home for what seemed to be every wasp in the state. Seriously. It was out of control. So this summer we decided to go with the smaller bush size version to see if that would help. Along with our traps from Home Depot and a contract with Orkin, it helped tremendously. But we still weren't sure what it was... is it a bush or a tree or a trush? Well, today we learned that it is definitely a tree.
Katelyn and I were just getting ready to wash the mini van and I saw something weird poking up out of the left side of the tree. When I say it was poking out, I am not exaggerating. As I got closer, I could see more of it, including an EYE. This is what I saw.![]()
After realizing that I was actually seeing what I thought I was seeing, I had Kyle come to verify that it was in fact a porcupine. It was. Actually, it was a TREE porcupine. So we did what anyone would do... we got out the camera and Katelyn went and told the neighbors. The missionaries even came by during the photo shoot. There were about 12 of us out there and by the time the photo shoot was over "Fluffy" had turned around and was showing us his backside. So we left him alone for a while because Katelyn was sure that there were other porcupines (including babies) all over and would get in her room. So we went inside and decided to wait and see if he would leave.![]()
During our summer travels we discovered that both of our girls are extremely allergic to cats and dogs. So I was starting to think that maybe this was our perfect pet. But just like Kyle thought, Fluffy left that night and moved on down the road... hopefully far far away since Brooke still loves to hug and kiss every animal she sees.
6 comments:
Cool! I'd take a porcupine in my yard anyday over WASPS! Maybe he'll keep them away.
Aaawwww how cute! And yay! your blog is finally current.
I think your family pet took up residence at the Wong's house. I heard that they had one on their front porch.(Did I spell that right?) And what do you think he did.... well, of course, he got his camera out too!! That porcupine is sure making the rounds...
Who needs a zoo when we can visit the Hansens front yard?
I had to do a double-take to make sure you still live in Utah. We have wild porcupines around here? In subdivisions? How odd! I've seen skunks, quails, pheasants, ground squirrels, I think we even saw a raccoon once, but never a porcupine!
Wow! We've been in our home on 6 acres for 6 years with HUGE trees and have never, ever seen a LIVE porcupine! I love the name. And Fluffy sounds like a perfect "pet." What a great summer adventure you all had without ever having to leave home. Katelyn will always remember it and so will you.
Post a Comment