I started worrying about this day on a beautiful Friday in August of 2002. I remember laying in my hospital bed that night on the day Katelyn was born, looking at my beautiful baby girl and dreading the thought of each milestone in her life that would make her less and less my baby. Don't get me wrong, I know that all of those things are wonderful and necessary, but while they bring tremendous joy, they also make your heart ache. So I tried to embrace every moment (as much as you can and still be human), but it still caught me off guard when the time arrived.
So today, Katelyn started 1st grade. I thought sending her off to preschool and Kindergarten was hard, and it was, but this was definitely harder. Knowing that she would be gone ALL day seemed like too much to bear for me and for little Brooke. I knew we would both be lost without her, but was so excited for this new part of her life.
So, I got up at the crack of dawn so that I could make sure our morning went smoothly. She woke up excited and we both had butterflies in our stomachs. I surprised her with breakfast in bed, which she loved and then the girls played for a bit before getting ready.
When it was time for her to get ready I decided to use the time to talk about things that might ease any fears she had. She loved her Kindergarten teacher and was reluctant about having a new one, so while we were doing her hair, this was part of our conversation:
Me: "Katelyn, did you know that your new teacher is a grandma?"
Me: "Isn't that cool that she's a grandma?"
K: "Yeah, but it might be kind of hard."
Me: "Why?"
K: "Well... (long pause), because sometimes grandma's forget stuff, so we might not learn very much. But at least we know she will be really really nice and fun."
Because of millions of cute things she's said like that, it hit me like a ton a bricks... she was very ready to go to first grade and she would love it and her teacher would love her. (*** cue audible sobs from a mom with way too many emotions all at once.) But instead I just grinned at her comment and told her how much I love her.![]()
![]()
So we headed off to pick up her BFF Sara and Hailey (Sara's big sister). Most of our neighborhood was walking together. It was so neat because the parents were all visiting and our well-adjusted kids were happily walking in front of us... but not too far.![]()
We arrived at the school with plenty of time for pictures and for the kids to play on the playground as they excitedly found new and old friends. The parents got to visit and watch our kids adjust almost instantly to their new surroundings. They all look so happy and shiny in their new clothes.![]()
![]()
Here are some photos of Katelyn and Sara checking out their new playground.
As soon as the bell rang, kids gave final hugs and kisses and got in their lines. They looked so little and so big all at the same time.
Along with many of the other parents of 1st graders, I went inside to see her get all settled. Within moments she seemed fine, gave me a wave, blew me a kiss and put her hand on her cheek (that's our sign from the book "The Kissing Hand"). I did it back and then immediately lowered my sunglass... the floodgates in my eyes were about to burst. It was time for me to go...
Upon returning home, Brooke was so worn out from the whole ordeal (even though she rode in the stroller) that this is what she did until it was time to go to lunch with some friends. It was an emotional day for all of us. When she was awake she asked for "Sissy" over and over. But we played and had fun and before we knew it, it was time to go pick Katelyn up.
We waited for her at our "meeting place" and were so excited to see how the 1st day of 1st grade went. She said that her day was great and before we knew it, it was time for another first. Right after she gave me a big hug and told me that her day had been great, she started wiggling her loose tooth and pulled it right out. She lost her 1st tooth on the 1st day of 1st grade!![]()
But the excitement didn't stop there... right after taking that picture she put it in her tooth necklace that the dentist had given her just two days before. She was so happy and proud that she started shaking it up
and down and you guessed it, the lid popped open and the tooth flew out. There was a huge group of friends and neighbors who helped us look for it in the grass. Even her teacher came over t
o help, but we couldn't find it. Katelyn was disappointed and a little teary about it until everyone started reassuring her that she could just leave the Tooth Fairy a note and it would be ok.
So it was an exciting day of "firsts" and one that we will never forget! Even though she didn't get to be in the same class as Sara, her good friends from Kindergarten (Ben and Bradley) ended up having the same teacher. The kids were so excited about it, but I think the moms were even happier. I loved knowing that she would have some good buddies to make things less scary and Bradley told me on the first day that he would be sure and look out for her (*** cue more tears and a heavy sigh). Here they are right after school got out and just moments after she pulled her tooth out (Bradley, Katelyn, Ben and their older brother Blake).
I am so grateful that this day of first turned out so well - Katelyn you are an incredible daughter and I am looking forward to many more wonderful "firsts" with you. I love you baby!
9 comments:
I love you Ashley and I am thinking of you on this momentous day. We are being forced to grow up ourselves! My thoughts are with you and so is all of my love!
I believe every mom's blog is about the same school topic. It is sad to see them go.
Is Duane, Kyle's brother? They look very much alike. Your girl's dresses were so pretty. You've got to love the toddler meltdowns :)
Ashley, you're such an awesome mom! How sweet that you'd make breakfast-in-bed for the first day of school. I'll have to remember that when Laurel starts school. I loved this post - thanks for sharing!
How did all of you manage to get to school early enough for all those good pictures??
I am apparently the only loser mom that got my kids to school LATE!
You know how I feel about school...
Funny how now that it has been almost two weeks. It's not that big of a deal.
She looks so sadly old. Give the girls kisses and hugs for me. Miss you guys!
What a great post! And the tooth part of the story made me smile and laugh. What a gorgeous grown-up little girl you have!
Congratulations to all of you. What a landmark day in many ways! It's weird that this is the first year in 24 years that I won't have someone in K-12. It goes fast, let me tell you. Love you!
You're such a great Mom! You always make things so special. I'm getting some great ideas from you.
Post a Comment