Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Day We Learned About Teething Tomatoes

So after school today, Katelyn, Brooke and I went outside to "go picking." The girls love going out to our garden and since we are currently being inundated with tomatoes and raspberries I knew this particular activity would be a hit.

Brooke immediately headed for the cherry tomatoes and Katelyn started working on the raspberries with me. With the cooler weather we've been having, the bees were gone so everything was going well. However, because of our recent porcupine visitor, I have started inspecting everything for bite marks so I can tell if/when we have any new visitors. That's when I noticed the problem with our tomatoes... most of the cherry tomatoes in the bowl had bite marks marks in them. I thought it was weird that the animal that did it just took one or two bites and then moved on... that's when I heard Brooke saying "kucky kucky kucky." That is her word for yucky and sure enough she was sampling each tomato she picked. She ate some of them, as evidenced by the tomato juice and seeds dripping down her chin, but I guess the ones that weren't "just right" she would discard into the bowl after teething on them for a bit. The funny part was that she wouldn't even try the raspberries.

4 comments:

Amy said...

OOh, what a great idea--we should go pick our cherry tomatoes and raspberries today! That's funny that Brooke was the "animal" infesting your tomatoes!

Shem said...

She is so smart! Tomatoes ARE kucky!

Meghann said...

I don't know how you can stand her cuteness. Seriously!

jessica said...

At least she kept trying them...

So funny!