Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Day We Learned About the “Secret” Ingredient

Kate & Brooke making sugar cookies 12-10-09This year both girls were anxious to make and decorate sugar cookies.  Since Katelyn was my regular sous chef by Brooke’s age, I decided to make this year’s cookie making event, educational too in an attempt to catch Brooke up on her culinary skills. 

The recipe we use is my Grandma Hardy’s recipe.  I don’t know which is better – the actual taste of the cookies or the memories of eating millions of them at her house during the holidays when I was kid.  The girls love “Hardy” so they were excited to learn how to make her cookie recipe.  The recipe calls for Cream of Tartar which is something they’ve never used before when they cook with me, so we decided that was Hardy’s “secret” ingredient.  Having a “secret” ingredient somehow made it all even more fun but I noticed that we ended up with a lot fewer cookies than the recipe indicated.  Maybe we ate a little bit more dough than we realized…   

Kate making sugar cookies 12-10-09Brooke making sugar cookies 12-10-09

No comments: