Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Day We Toured T-Town

UPS Campus Visit 8-14-11gEven though we’ve lived in the northwest for over six years, our trips to the west side of the state have been almost non existent and we’ve never made it down to Tacoma.  So I decided that part of our family trip, would include a visit to T-town and trip down my collegiate memory lane.

 

Fortunately, Kyle and the kids were great about humoring me as I dragged them around campus.  We went to visit my freshman dorm and the sorority house.  It seems so crazy to think about when I stood in front of the Alpha Phi house with my mom and dad 13 years ago on graduation day.  I had no idea that I would visit campus just over a decade later with my wonderful husband and three amazing daughters. 

Phibbs Hall 8-14-11aAlpha Phi visit 8-14-11aAlpha Phi visit 8-14-11c

I took them all around the beautiful campus and Emily tried her best to go for a swim in the fountain.

Howarth Hall 8-14-11UPS Campus Visit 8-14-11dUPS Campus Visit 8-14-11eUPS Campus Visit 8-14-11k

They found flowers around campus in their signature colors and we even went in the dinning hall so they could pose by the mighty (might giant that is) Logger artwork.

Katelyn - UPS Campus Visit 8-14-11aUPS Campus Visit 8-14-11fEmily - UPS Campus Visit 8-14-11a

UPS Campus Visit 8-14-11hThey thought campus was great and I loved showing it to them.  The funny thing was that during the tour of the dorms, the first thing Katelyn and Brooke noticed was the size of the closet.  They couldn’t believe how small it was… my thoughts exactly.  I didn’t have the heart to tell them that by then they wouldn’t want to take their toys

Mom & Em - Point Defiance Picnic 8-14-11dKyle - Point Defiance Picnic 8-14-11a

Next up, we grabbed sandwiches from the famous MSM (Magical Sandwich Maker) Deli and headed to Point Defiance Park for a picnic.  The girls loved the play structures and found lots of cool places to explore.

 

Brooke - Point Defiance Picnic 8-14-11bKatelyn - Point Defiance Picnic 8-14-11cKate & Brooke - Point Defiance Picnic 8-14-11e

Point Defiance 8-14-11d

Next we headed down to the water front.  It was not nearly “beachy” enough for the girls and they were able to detect a slight “Tacoma Aroma” even though it is much more mild now thanks to pollution filters.  The joys of living by a working sea port and paper mills with the nasty smell of rotting pulp, delicious. 

They still loved the water though and thought it was cool when we found a dead jelly fish.  I was especially glad about the dead part.  I did not want to recreate that episode of Friends when Monica gets stung at the beach.

Emily was thrilled to find more rocks and throw them in the water until her little heart was content.

Point Defiance 8-14-11cPoint Defiance 8-14-11aPoint Defiance 8-14-11b

It was such a fun day and I look forward to going back again to visit the spots we didn’t make it to this time.

1 comment:

sarah said...

can't wait till your next visit!! cause then I can meet up with you. :) make sure it's not in another 13 years ;)