Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Day We Went Back to the Magic Pool

Last year our summer travel schedule convinced me that putting the girls in swimming lessons would be too difficult, so we took a year off.  By May of this year, I could tell that this summer’s travel schedule was shaping up to be no different than the year before, but I knew lessons were needed, so we gave the Athletic Club a try and had our lessons wrapped up before summer even arrived.  The lessons were great and the girls learned a lot.

Then, we went out of town and apparently Brooke’s new aquatic knowledge didn’t leave the building or the state of Washington with her.  She enjoyed the water but would not swim.  I was frustrated, but then I remembered that I brought this on myself.  Even though the lessons at the Club had been great, Brooke must be like Katelyn and need some magic swimming lessons.

There are magic lessons at Jackson’s Swimming Pool in the Valley.  I don’t know what they do differently, maybe it is something in the water, but sure enough it worked for Brooke just like it did for Katelyn.

Brooke had a great time learning to jump and swim with her floaty…Brooke @ swim lessons 8-23-11Brooke - swimming lessons 8-25-11aBrooke - swim lessons 8-24-11d

…and in no time she was doing it by herself.

Brooke - swim lessons 8-24-11aBrooke - swimming lessons 8-25-11bBrooke - swimming lessons 8-25-11d

She still needs some work on her distance, but she loves being a little fish and swimming on her own.

Brooke - swimming lessons 8-25-11cBrooke - swimming lessons 8-25-11f

She even got to practice her dives and work on her back float.

Brooke - swim lessons 8-24-11bBrooke - swimming lessons 8-25-11e

Brooke - swimming lessons 8-25-11gBrooke loved her swimming teachers and thought the celebratory popsicle she earned at the end was the best thing ever.  But I think watching your kid learn to overcome their fears and feel so proud of what they’ve accomplished was even better.

No comments: