Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Day We Learned About the Rainbow Outfit

Brooke's rainbow outfit 10-17-10

At the beginning of the summer I was in Target and found some comfy summer play clothes for Brooke.  They were practically free so I couldn’t resist even though I wasn’t sure if she would like them.  Little did I know that one particular set would be loved more than any other outfit in the history of her three and a half years of life and would be forever referred to as “The Rainbow Outfit.”

I have to admit though that the rainbow outfit does seem to be magical.  I could get Brooke to do just about anything if it meant she got to wear the beloved ensemble.  Regardless of my laundry schedule, I could only use the “it’s not clean” excuse for a day or two before she would get really upset. 

She wore the outfit on super special days and on scary days, like when she had to go to the allergist – it got her through just about anything.

During the fall and at the beginning of winter, she would still beg to wear it even thought it was way too cold.  So on days when I knew she wasn’t going anywhere, I would let her wear it – after getting some mileage out of the deal first.  She wore it almost every Sunday after church, even when the rest of us had on our winter woolies and fuzzy slippers. 

I finally retired the outfit to the bins in the storage shed a few weeks ago.  She didn’t see it happen so it was less traumatic that way, or so I thought.  Tonight though as I was tucking her in, she said, “Mom, I sure do miss my rainbow outfit.”  I think I better start looking for another one… maybe they have it in my size too, I would love a magic outfit.

No comments: