Brooke started attending Katelyn’s preschool in our playroom when she was 13 months old. She loved it and thought playing school with her big sister was the best thing ever. But she has been looking so forward to the day when she could finally go to Miss Jean’s preschool, just like Katelyn did the year Brooke was born. On Friday, the big day finally arrived and she was so excited!
She was a little nervous but relieved when I told her that Emily and I would l come inside with her and wouldn’t leave until she was settled. She said she wanted to meet a new friend first and make sure she wasn’t the only girl there before I left… that will be funny later on this post…
She really wanted to wear the “cherry back to school clothes” that Katelyn wore to preschool, but it has been crazy hot so she went with something more appropriate for the weather. She picked everything out to match her beloved new Barbie backpack. She picked out her backpack while we were in Utah. She took it everywhere with her while we were there and one day she said, “Katelyn, can I tell you a secret? The Barbie on my backpack talks to me!” It was so cute because she was totally serious and I loved that she wanted to share her secret with her sister.
Her sisters were happy to take some pictures with her and Brooke loved being the in-house celebrity.
We got Katelyn off to school and then headed out on Brooke’s preschool adventure. She was excited when we arrived but a little nervous still. You know when she is nervous because she doesn’t say much.
Emily was so glad we got to walk Brooke inside. They started playing Play-Doh and had a blast. Brooke was excited to see there was another girl there and that she was also wearing yellow and pink… that made her instantly cool.
They played for a bit and then I knew it was time to go. Emily however, did not feel that way and threw an absolute fit when I picked her up. It was a good thing though, because it made me get out of there fast and I was focused on something besides the fact that Brooke goes to school now and isn’t with me all the time. Just typing that makes tears well up in my eyes, so I am glad I didn’t have time to process that in public or for Brooke to see because I knew she was going to have a great day.
Emily and I headed out to take care of some errands. We eventually ended up at Target and as a rite of passage for her we got a drink and popcorn. Katelyn and I would do that when I was pregnant with Brooke, then I did that with Brooke when Kate was in kindergarten. So now it is Emily’s turn. She loved every minute of it and it distracted her enough that she quit asking for Brooke.
We had a great time and before we knew it, it was time to pick up Brooke. She looked so happy when I pulled up… the best kind of happy – happy because she’d had so much fun AND happy to see me. What more could I ask for.
She was excited to tell me all about her “best day ever” at preschool. She even asked if she could go four days a week, instead of just three, which is funny because the night before, she only wanted to go two days a week. When I asked her what was her favorite part of preschool, she responded without hesitation, “the boys!” Yikes. She immediately qualified her response with the fact they they would play pizza shop with her and the little girl didn’t want to play. We’ll see. She sure went from “boys have cooties” to “boys are the best” faster than I imagined or feared.
1 comment:
What is it about that popcorn and drink combo at Target that is so magical for kiddos?:) It works every time for mine! Seeing these babies grow up and leave is so dang hard! Even when it is just for a couple of hours. I'm so glad she loved it and good luck with the boys are awesome thing:)
Post a Comment