Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Day Kate Started Fourth Grade

Brooke Kate & Em - 4th grade 9-7-11aKate - 1st day of 4th grade 9-7-11a

I cannot believe that it is already time for school to start, but I really cannot get over the fact that somehow Katelyn is already beginning fourth grade.  How times flies…

It was a beautiful day and she was super excited for her new adventure, even though we all wished summer could go on forever.

 

For the walk to school, we met up with Sara, “little” Kyle, Kara and their moms and headed down the street.  I can’t believe that next year Brooke will be a student with them rather than just an avid supporter.

1st day of 4th grade 9-7-11b1st day of 4th grade 9-7-11aKyle & Em 9-7-11a

When we made it to the school, the kids were all excited to see their buddies.

Kate & Sara - 4th grade 9-7-11bKate Ben & Bradley 9-7-11aEmily Sara & Kate 9-7-11Brooke & Em 9-7-11aKate & Mom 9-7-11

Brooke and Emily wanted to head to the playground but it was crowded so we were just visiting with friends.  Then out of no where, my face felt like it exploded.  It didn’t of course, but the ball that smashed into me at top speed, really made it feel like it did.  I immediately went into damage assessment mode.  The good news was that the kids and my camera were all unscathed.  My sunglasses weren’t on my face anymore but my teeth were all where they were supposed to be, so I considered that a win.  The bad news was that I was bleeding a lot and my nose hurt like crazy.  My first thought was that if it was broken, I hoped there was enough damage that It would lead to a new nose courtesy of the school district.  But alas, it was just enough damage to ugly me up with some bruises and swelling.  Awesome.  I didn’t cry, but a lot of liquid leaked out of eyes.  That is the weirdest thing, when you aren’t crying but your eyes don’t get that message.  I was more upset about messing up Katelyn’s morning, but she of course didn’t mind one bit.  The girls were all just worried about me… man I love those sweeties.

Emily's sorrow 9-7-11aAbout five minutes after all the excitement, it was time for Katelyn to line up with her new class.  Emily coped with her sadness by drinking her way through the morning.  We hugged and kissed Katelyn goodbye and watched her go into the school, Emily just about waved her little arm off.

 

 

Once we were home, Brooke and Emily tried to have fun, despite the absence of their “fun director.”

They played outside and had a blast.

Brooke & Em's afternoon 9-7-11aBrooke & Em's afternoon 9-7-11b

Just before her nap though, Emily found a bathroom door that had been left open and did her new favorite thing… remove her shirt, unroll the toilet paper and then turn it into confetti.  I ran to get the camera and when I started taking her picture, she went from looking guilty to crying because she thought she would be in trouble.  She looked way to cute to get in trouble but I guess she didn’t know that.

Emily's mess 9-7-11aEmily's mess 9-7-11b

Then it was naptime for Emily.  While she slept, Brookie and I had some fun of our own. 

We were all so excited when it was time to go pickup Katelyn.  One by one, the kids came out and Emily greeted them all.  “Little” Kyle got a big hug and the other boys all got “knuckles” from her.

Emily & Kyle 9-7-11bEmily giving bumps 9-7-11

But Katelyn received a hero’s welcome from both of her little sisters.  It was so sweet… I love getting to watch them in those moments when it is so easy to see how much they truly love and adore each other.

End of Kate's 1st day of 4th 9-7-11A hero's welcome 9-7-11aA hero's welcome 9-7-11bKate & Emily 9-7-11End of Kate's 1st day of 4th 9-7-11b

The kids all had a great day and had a good time visiting at our rendezvous point after school.

Bradley Ben Kate & Sara 9-7-11aKara & Brooke 9-7-11

Here’s looking at another great year!

The crew 9-7-11a

3 comments:

Nana Shanna said...

Are you okay? Did they find the perpetrator? Other than your accident it sounds like it was a great day! Love you!

Monika said...

What an adventurous morning! I hope you are ok!

Rani said...

Um can I eat all those little girls up!!! Miss them all so much!